KiCad 8.0 interoperability with other EDA tools. Next conquering object may be Allegro/OrCad?

Altium users pay for support from the Altium developers. It is reasonable for them to ask Altium when a KiCad 8 importer will be released

3 Likes

A commercial way of viewing the situation:

If Kicad want to attract customers from Altium, Kicad supply the tool to get those customers.
If Altium want to attract customers from Kicad, Altium supply the tool to get those customers.

1 Like

The issue for $$$ companies is format interoperability… If this is allowed, they get out of business

Of course!
Could you imagine Altium offering to help Kicad develop Kicad’s Altium importer. :rofl:

1 Like

For now Altium could’t import Kicad 7-8 project, only Kicad 6, so I can’t move from Kicad to Alium in simple way :slight_smile:

Who with a sound mind would do that, anyway? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve just tested that EasyEDA Pro (V2.1.51) could import KiCadV8’s project with some flaws, while EasyEDA Pro (V2.1.51) could import KiCadV7’s project looks more better than the imported V8’s project. There is no specific version indication for the importing option of EasyEDA Pro (V2.1.51). It is OK just for viewing, however, it is another story for serious rework or on-going work.

That would be nice. There are open questions which are hard to answer. :slight_smile: e.g.

• Why do property lists sometimes miss bytes and how does Altium handle those corrupted files
  • What is the algorithm which decides the stream names in Altium Circuit Maker, Altium CircuitStudio, Solidworks PCB
  • Why did I never got a response when I applied for the student version of Altium Designer :see_no_evil:
2 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :joy: