KiCad 6 to Altium

This might not be the best place to find help for this problem but I thought I would give it a try. I’m having issues converting my KiCad projects to Altium using Altium’s import wizard. Previously I was using KiCad 5 and didn’t have this issue so I’m wondering if something happened in the process of going from 5 to 6. Does anyone else have experience converting KiCad 6 projects to Altium?

I think you need to ask Altium for help. The import wizard is written by Altium instead of KiCAD team.

I figured as much and I’ve reached out to Altium so hopefully I hear back soon. I mostly just wanted to see if anyone around here has had any success with importing a project since converting to KiCad 6.

As mentioned before, the ones able to help you further (no inference, guesses or hearsay) are the guys from Altium, what I do know, is that v6 brought a lot of changes to the file format, as such, v6 projects are not backwards compatible with v5 projects, most probably there lies the problem.

Hi, I think nobody can help here.

KiCAD 6.0 has update the file format, and it has been changed a lot, so if altium hasn’t update their import wizard, the import process will not be sucessfully.

And as previous discussion, KiCAD 6.0 will not support to export file to old file format, so currently, the only way is to wait until Altium update their import wizard to support KiCAD 6.0 format.

BTW, why do you want to import KiCAD’s file to Altium? This requirement is very strange for me.

We moved from Altium to KiCad after 13 years and numerous designs. As much as I want to leave Altium behind, I find myself going back and forth, translating older designs to KiCad and trying to move our custom libraries as well (not yet supported in 6.0).

Some customers require us to submit our designs in Altium file format and that is not possible right now because Altium does not yet support the new file format in KiCad 6.0.

We like KiCad very much, especially how responsive it is when compared with the bloated and sluggish Altium.

4 Likes

I’m just finishing BS in electrical and computer engineering and the program I’m in uses Altium but I find it so bloated as you said. They are thinking of switching to KiCad in the future but until then I would like to be able to share my project to those using Altium. Guess I’ll just have to wait for Altium to update the importer.

The KiCad nightlies now have Altium footprint library support, which means you can use them without having them to convert in the first place. I’m currently in progress of testing and fixing all the special cases so they it can be used with confidence.

4 Likes

BTW, why do you want to import KiCAD’s file to Altium? This requirement is very strange for me

My professor doesn’t have much experience with KiCad so the ability to convert to Altium was nice for sharing my project with them. The department is playing around with the idea of switching to KiCad though.

This is very exciting!

Do you think it’s wise for us to use the nightlies for our designs?

Thank you for all your hard work!

If you do commercial work it may be more wise to stay on stable for now. The nightlies work well most of the time though.

If you like to use the Altium library feature in the future it may be wise to download the nightlies and try it out. The more bugs are found early, the better v7 will be in this regard.

I’ll give it a go and report.

Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.