KiCad 5.1.7 crashes

I have read the post, but it doesn’t concern to my case. I only use characters [a…z, A…Z, _, -] and maybe some other allowed non alpha characters for project names (Windows 10 environment). The particular project of which I’m talking about in this post is named CPU001, so no spaces either, but the “full path” contains spaces:

\FILE_SERVER\cartelle_comuni\Documenti personali\Elettronica\Progetti\ANNIBALE\Schemi\CPU001\KiCad

Now I cannot rename the “Documenti personali” folder otherwise I should change a myriad of projects and library paths. But could it be “that one and only space in the path” the cause of the problem?

Salvatore

get rid of the Spaces in the Path!!! (I see only one but, it takes only one Terrorist to ruin your day

oh, I see. But it happens that when I add or modify libraries and footprints that are located in the same base folder, but some subfolders behind:

\FILE_SERVER\cartelle_comuni\Documenti personali\Elettronica\KiCad\sb\library

KiCad never closes itself. It happens only with projects. Very strange indeed, isn’t it?

Salvatore

aaaaaaaargh, I have to change the whole world! :slight_smile: I haven’t only KiCad under “Documenti personali”… I’m not in a hurry, so it would be preferable to wait a fix for this. Is it possible?

Salvatore

So, you discovered the files and they’re now in the folder. You
should now be able to use without problems. Does it work?

it works, also the other real project works, but as soon as I try to save: BANG! But not always, as already written.

Salvatore

I’m only a dumb user - the real supporters can talk to the underlying problem.

That said, after discovering the problem, I had to rename everything as all of my Directories did not use UTF-8 fonts and some had spaces…

I was easy to Bulk change them, though. Example: Select All of your Folders, select the name (or fragment of the name) and “Use Selection for find” then, “Replace All” with corrected text…

Me thinks the problem lies in the File/folder name. AND, when I started to fix my system, it ALWAYS had some files that Crashed! I needed to completely redo the Folders… That fixed it

I had to rename everything

it is not a matter of a simple “rename”, I have the “whole world” under “Documenti personali”… :frowning:, that means other 48 folders and subfolders, not only “Elettronica”…

Salvatore

Well, lessons learned - I’m old-school and often get bit when violating the “Eight” character filenaming requirement from 40 yrs ago… Sure, new technology has improved, but, as seen here, not always… Something to do during Covid shutdown…

Check https://gitlab.com/groups/kicad/code/-/epics/33 for several network drives related bug reports as well

mmmh, I also started in 1979 with my first home made Z80 computer running CP/M :grin:

As you can see in my second message in this post, I catched an entry in the Windows registry with this error:

Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005 <— should be an access violation
Offset errore 0x0000000000154e23
ID processo che ha generato l’errore: 0x2134
Ora di avvio dell’applicazione che ha generato l’errore: 0x01d6c335addb0e03
Percorso dell’applicazione che ha generato l’errore: C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\kicad.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l’errore: C:\Program Files\KiCad\bin\wxbase30u_gcc_custom.dll

What is wxbase30u_gcc_custom.dll?

Salvatore

I see. Is this problem expected to be fixed in incoming v6?

Salvatore

Me too! Z80 built system at home… in 1979

wx belongs to wxpython / wxwidgets - the python Kicad uses

I have taken the Z80 computer back home for restoring after 35 years of basement with two sewer floodings included, with the obvious consequencies of this stay… (I’m so lucky that I had a sewer tube with an inspection plug in my basement; the tube exploded two times in these frame of time; now the plug as been removed for good and replaced with a simple straight tube. No more caps :grimacing:). Luckily, the floppy disks have always been kept safely at home and resulted, more or less, all readable, no loss. All files and images have been transferred on the NAS.

Salvatore

I hope in a fix for this in incoming version 6 of KiCad. By the way, is there an expected date for release of v6?

Salvatore

Mi spiace, non ho alcun coinvolgimento con Kicad oltre l’uso. Per quanto riguarda l’errore wx, Google it - molti post non specifici di Kicad

@s.besso Please use the latest 5.1 testing build (pre 5.1.9) where I have fixed this particular issue.

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/windows/testing/5.1/kicad-5.1-jenkins-168-x86_64.exe

2 Likes

No, wxWidgets is the UI library which KiCad uses. The name wxbase probably refers to the non-graphical part of it and strongly suggests that file operations may be the cause as paulvdh suspected. And now marekr gave a possible solution.

It is the definitely the solution :wink:
The exception offset in the crash log above is smack in the wxFileSystemWatcher.

For the record, this has nothing to do with any kicad version in particular and has always been an issue.
I think there’s actually a buffer overflow/memory corruption type fault in samba because it only seems to be on particularly…“upset” setups at random.

The developers treat crash bugs very seriously.
The issue here is that not many KiCad developers are using certain types of network shares, so they depend on clear bug reports when users find these problems

wow! I will try it this afternoon. Thank you.

Salvatore