Kicad 5.1.10 crashes

Dear All,

I have Kicad 5.1.10 on Ubuntu 18.04 which seems currently to be the latest version of Kicad. Today I try to open my project’s kicad_pcb and the Kicad simply closes with any notification. The schematics opens with no problem.

The layout file has not been updated for 2-3 weeks so, with version before the current version of Kicad it was opening fine.

Previously, I have never seen such problem.
What can be done to solve or at least understand the reason of crashing?

Thanks a lot for any hint.

UPD: It seems that crashing of Kicad does not relate to my project. With newly created project it closes as well when trying to open the PCB layout editor

UPD2: When I try to run pcbnew from the console or run kicad from the console and then open pcb layout it closes with the following message in the console:

(kicad:8797): Gdk-ERROR **: 11:37:33.424: The program 'kicad' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 4225 error_code 2 request_code 151 (GLX) minor_code 24)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
   variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Try rebooting first.

Rebooting indeed fixed the problem.
Thanks a lot and sorry for the noise.

1 Like

I observe the same behaviour since several subversions of 5.1 : Udate, KiCad crashes, Reboot, everything is fine. I use Linux Mint 19.3 on different HW Configurations.

I asked about this in the past but it seems nobody has an explanation ?

I gave the explanation in a new FAQ article KiCad suddenly begins to crash on Linux with Gdk-ERROR. At least in the case where “update” means updating the system, not just KiCad.

OK, next time I will try to retrace this. It sounds logical because when I use the OS updating system a lot of things are updated …

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.