Keepout areas in footprints

I’m trying to create a logo as a footprint such that I can add it to all of my boards in one easy step.

I’ve used Bitmap2component and have created items on the silkscreen and solder mask layers I intended. What I haven’t been able to do is make a keep out area in the footprint such that the copper plane is removed in places to provide another colour in my logo.

There are a number of good articles online about PCB artwork with KiCad however these all import the copper plane as one image instead of using a functional board with a fill plane.

As a complete novice in pcb design I would give up assuming that this functionality doesn’t exist as its not needed for the electrical aspect of the board, however my Digikey ruler has the copper removed between the pads on the passive and diode footprints. I have looked through the KiCad libraries and haven’t been able to find a footprint like the ones mentioned. It seems everything in the KiCad libraries relys on the clearance setting between footprints and the fill plane.

Does anyone know of a way to have a footprint remove from the copper fill plane without using a pad?

I don’t think there is one.

Not directly possible in kicad. But this script might give you an idea of how it could be done: Combine gerbers (useful for negative text)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.