K6.0.1: Assign net to a rectangle/polygon?

Hi Guys,
In Altium, I used the “Fill” and “Solid Region” tools quite allot; I used Altium’s Polygons only for flooding the board, but not for smaller uniform copper areas I used those two tools. In KiCad the “Filled Zone” seems to be the equivalent of Altium’s Polygon. The Rectangle and Graphic Polygon tools in KiCad are what I need, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to assign them to a net (at least not in the properties window). Is there a way, or do I need to use Filled Zones for everything, including the smaller cooper areas?

No worries eather way, I’m just trying to get into KiCad’s way of thinking.
Thanks in advance,
Marko

I think - yes.
As I understand KiCad: graphic is not track and track is not graphic.
I have come to KiCad from Protel3. I didn’t understood why when I want track being not covered with mask (ESD trap) I just can’t put the same track at mask layer.

I didn’t tried V6 yet. May be something have changed.

You need to use filled zones for this in V6. We plan to allow net assignment to graphic shapes in a future version.

Please see my response to: How do I connect a graphic polygon to a net? - #9 by wildcatrealtime

Hi guys,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have no problem using filled zones for this, they just seem a bit of an overkill for a simple 1x2mm copper rectangle-ish shape. Anyways, thanks for putting in all the hard work!

Thanks again,
Marko

I’ve made small keep-out areas (the opposite of fill) around that size. When you’re zoomed in, absolute size isn’t a problem.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.