ISO Standard Title Blocks WKS Files?

I need a standard ISO 7200 style title block for a project. I’m not finding any templates while searching around online or in my installation (KiCad 5.1.2). Is there a repository somewhere of various title block templates? Or will I have to start from scratch using the PI_Editor?
-Chris

They are in the process of getting done. (It is slow going as the template repo is kind of forgotten by us maintainers with all the other stuff going on. In addition that repo has a very bad structure and might need a massive cleanup) https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-templates/pull/13

1 Like

Maybe these will fit the bill?

1 Like

Iso7200 does not seem to be included in this repo.

Ahh, sorry I didn’t specifically check which ISO version they were for, just recalled that there were some ISO and GOST ones around. Hope they are helpful for someone!

1 Like

BTW, if someone wants to edit page layouts (.wks files) I recommend using nightly builds for that. The old editing system was a pain in the donkey. It was recently converted to use similar editing than the new eeshcema toolkit.

It’s really even worth install-reinstall cycles between stable and nightly builds, it’s so much better. (Installing the nightly build to a different folder will probably work in this case if you don’t do anything else with it. See also Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version? and Running several KiCad versions on the same Windows machine).

3 Likes

To clarify, those two specifications are related.

• ISO 7200 describes the title block and its contents
  • ISO 5457 describes the outer grid markers and the position of the title block

The template files in the repository mentioned above contains two based on ISO 5457, according to the filenames. Examining them briefly, the grids/zones are almost correct, but the title block, while closer to ISO 7200 than the KiCad default, still doesn’t match the standard. Also the A3 template file actually contains the A4 template. I haven’t studied it in detail, but it looks to me like the default KiCad templates are pretty close to the ISO 5457 standard regarding the grids / zones, too.

I would have thought that CERN might be using ISO standard title blocks in their internal work, and was hoping based on that assumption that ISO templates would be readily available. Maybe not…

1 Like

Well, I whipped out a couple of page layout templates that are reasonably close to the standard. Posted them as a github gist:

ISO Page Layout Files, A2 and A3

I tried briefly to follow user eelik’s advice, but for some reason I couldn’t get the editor working from the nightly build and gave up and went back to the stable release. It wasn’t TOO terrible to edit, although I REALLY missed the ability to copy / paste an item.

The method of specifying graphical elements in the PL editor almost lets you make one page layout file for all sizes, and I think I will do that later on and make my own, semi-custom layout file that follows the intent but not the exact rules of the ISO standard. The issue I couldn’t solve was the grid / zone borders. These zones are not specified from the corner of the drawing, but from the center. And, not from the center of the drawing area, but of the center of the paper - and the drawing area is intentionally offset within the page. Therefore I just did it manually for two common sizes, A3 and A2. I decided not to bother with A4 for now, since strictly speaking the ISO standard down’t allow an A4 landscape format.

1 Like

The page layout editor is rarely used, I think majority of the users don’t use it at all. That being the case there may be bugs that go unnoticed, even more than in other parts of KiCad. It would be valuable if you reported your findings to the bug database. Or at least tell here what exactly you did and what exactly went wrong.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.