Is there a problem with the default forum avatars?

The default avatars (coloured letters) do not display for me right now. I noticed this sometime yesterday for the first time.

Is this just me or is there something broken?

I am experiencing the same issues.

I have such a grey P and it still works for me.
Checked some random posts before logging in

Edit:
I also see it on this post.

Do you see it for other people as well? (Especially new ones)
When was the last time your cleared your cache (Do the images stay visible if you clear it?)
What browser are you using? (Maybe the images are generated now with some browser specific stuff that does not work with for example firefox.)

All this info could help narrow down the problem.

Avatars are still showing with Debian Buster & Opera, but with Firefox the’re gone.

Edit:
After [Ctrl +Shit +Del] and a few mouse clicks the’re gone in Opera too.

Your avatar points to
https://forum.kicad.info/letter_avatar_proxy/v2/letter/p/858c86/45.png
which gives 404 right now. I don’t think this is browser specific.

That link works for me (Firefox on Windows 10)
(edit) but lots of personal avatars are blank

It might be that the image comes from the local cache for you. Could you test it again after clearing the cache?

All gone now and the forum server also seems slow today

Yes, it appears to me that existing members have correct avatars but new members are missing avatars.

Ping @ChrisGammell who maintains this forum, i guess ?

Can confirm this, created my account minutes ago. My avatar picture on the top right shows a torn page:
billede

I’m not seeing the issue yet though I have no doubt it’s possible. I’m going to take a look at this tomorrow, might need to update the server.

Indeed there’s something weird going on with this. In the main view I just had some avatars broken as shown by JonnyDumb. (I had refreshed several times.) The “P” avatar of paulvdh was OK for the line of this thread. I clicked that avatar and the small window showed no avatar. I refreshed the main page and the avatar for this thread line was now broken. Then I scrolled down and found other “P” avatars in various thread lines, for example the one of Piotr. Again I clicked that avatar and the small window showed no avatar. Disappeared avatars give 404 error when the image URL is copied to the address line of Firefox, just like qui1ck said.

Last night the forum avatars were fine for me.

Tonight, the forum avatars are starting to vanish for me.

That is the effect of your browser cache expiring.

Just noticed Avatars have returned.
2019-02-18T22:48 UTC

Yes, back for me too. I hope @ChrisGammell will comment

Apparently this was a problem across discourse due to the avatar location moving. I did a server reboot and I believe that fixed it. If people don’t see them still, let me know and I’ll rebuild the server.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.