Is there a list of Known Issues for Win7 on 4K Viewing Monitors?

My old “viewing monitor” let the smoke out a few days back; it was a Sony 40" TV with a max resolution of 1080P.

The replacement is a Onn 43" 4K TV. With Windoze 7 set to 4K, there are several little quirks and problems once KiCad is launched. The biggest issue is that KiCad Eeschema is mostly unusable with the cursor and mouse warping and not being able to track like the normally fluid motion of the actual physical mouse.

One thing to note is that Windoze 7 does not automagically scale the graphic items of Window Size and DPI. I have not gone through all the possible combinations of these settings.

With the resolution set to 1920X1080 and the settings at 100%,100% then everything appears to be okay and normal. With the settings at 3840X2160 and 150%,200% then things stray from normal. With the resolution set to 4K, the other items really need to be enlarged, otherwise things are too small to see.

I use a 4k monitor and it is ok on Windows 10.
Windows 7 is abandoned by Microsoft with no security fixes at the end of this year, unless you pay for support, so you will have to find a way to upgrade if you want a safe Internet connection

2 Likes

Have you tried different antialising settings (Preferences->Common)?

1 Like

Have you tried this?:

1 Like

@davidsrsb Yeah, but I hate to have to update and/or lose program compatibility. The way I have a “safe” internet is to not have anything worth hacking into, and not clicking into anything not deemed 100% trustworthy.

@eelik Nope, only mentioned the experience I had from making the change from a 2k to 4K viewing monitor in regards to KiCad.

@der.ule Thanks for the link!

There is a very good likely-hood that my video card just can’t push that much video processing power while also driving 4K.

I’m still having some computer issues, will give more information when I get my end sorted out.

Unfortunately even an empty PC has value as being a member of a botnet.
You also become a ransomeware target.

Once Windows 7 stops being patched and vulnerabilities get published early next year, just being connected to the Internet becomes very dangerous

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.