"invalid library identifier", Schematic Page Not Load. Fixed

I made a change to a potentiometer in a local schematic symbol library which then prevented me from opening the schematic and symbol library. It appears to be because I put into the description “3/8” and I think the “/” broke KiCad parsing.

I fixed it editing the text files for the symbols and the schematic. Details are at the project on Github.

I documented it at: https://github.com/PubInv/general-alarm-device/issues/34

If I can find the energy I will try to submit a bug report at: Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

This was closed / fixed just a few days ago:

And there are at least 6 still open issues related to slashes.

Yes, the forward slash is a “booby-trap” in KiCAD. I have a yellow “Post-It” sticker on my keyboard reminding me not to use it…

The irony of the “/” in your response has me smiling. Thanks.

Hopefully this topic “invalid library identifier” with the name of the error, ( “invalid library identifier”) will help others understand the problem fast. I was surprised not to get hits on the exact error message when I searched the forum.

Thanks all.
Forrest Lee Erickson

Regarding [quote=“paulvdh, post:2, topic:36824”]
This was closed / fixed just a few days ago:
[/quote]

Can you site a bug report and version number for the fix.
FYI I am running Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.6), release build

Because I could not find a hit on a search for the exact text of the error dialog here and at the Gitlab issue tracker for KiCad I have created there an issue.

See: The entire schematic could not be loaded. Errors occurred attempting to load hierarchical sheets, KiCad Version: (6.0.6), release build (#12083) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

I think this captures the issue and my efforts that fixed my project at this time.

The work around is to not put a “/” in a symbol name.

First:
I have not spend much time on this topic, so I only suspect it’s the same, but I am not sure. I just gave you some pointers and assumed you are in a better position to judge this then I am.

What do you mean with this?

I already quoted a link to the (already closed) bug report, but it has been closed so recently it’s not available in any stable KiCad version yet. The comments on gitlab have pointers to more info about it:

It’s also flagged for 6.0.7
The issue links to the commit:

Regarding, “I already quoted a link to the (already closed) bug report,”
I was assuming a fix was in reference to a change to KiCad so that a “/” was allowed and did not break anything. Not just a report of a ?closed? bug report.

Do you mean that some where some version of KiCad has a change to “fix” this reported problem?

Oops, I stopped one line too soon and did not see:

" but it has been closed so recently it’s not available in any stable KiCad version yet."

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.