Interconnect filled zones to form a touch sensor

hi there, newbie here. i am trying to inter-connect several square shaped “filled” zones in order for them to build one big capacitive touch sensor. so the question is simply:

how do i connect several filled zones to each other electrically? since i cannot yet post attachments this is a bit hard to explain. just imagine 15 squares rotated by 45 degrees and their edges (which are 1mm apart) need to be connected with a route to each other. since i will do this both horizontally and vertically, i will have to connect the rows on the top layer and the columns on the bottom layer or vice versa. i figured out a way to connect single filled zones to a pad on my MCU, but not yet how to connect two filled zones. thanks for any insights and sorry, if this question is very basic…

Why not use a regular trace to connect them?

You can now. Enjoy . :wink:

yes, but i can’t seem to do it. newbie… if i try to connect several zones simply by drawing a trace, once i connect the first of them to a pad on the MCU (and select the appropriate net for it) the traces get outlined, and do not connect.

see attached image… (thanks @hermit )

First, make sure your zones are assigned to a Net.
Then, without the pads, the traces will not (by default) be connected to this net - hence these isolations.
You can select track, hit E to edit it and assign the same net as these zones. Hit B to rebuild zones, and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

nice, seems to work now. perfect. thanks so much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.