Import footprint (.mod) into kicad v5.1.7

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.
HI, just started with KiCad. Because I couldn’t find a component in the library I’ve downloaded it and followed the instructions in CvPcb documentation, but when i try to assign footprints to schematic symbols I got the following error:
"
The following errors occurred attempting to convert the footprint assignments:

Component “U1” footprint “SOT95P280X100-6N” was not found in any library.
You will need to reassign them manually if you want them to be updated correctly the next time you import the netlist in Pcbnew.
"
The library directory contains the following files:
DCM File
LIB File
MOD File
KICAD_MOD File.

I’m stuck and would appreciate your help

I don’t see this footprint in the default Kicad libraries. Where did you get the footprint from? Could you post a link to the datasheet for the part?

The data sheet:
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/documentview/productdocument/index/version/2/document_type/Datasheet/lang/en/sku/MP2359/document_id/228

The ECad model:
https://componentsearchengine.com/part-view/MP2359DJ-LF-Z/Monolithic%20Power%20Systems%20(MPS)

Thank you

A classical problem with 3rd party libraries is that in the symbol the footprint is defined without the library name because the author can’t know the library name which the user will use. You have to have the footprint in a folder which is added to the library table as a footprint library. Then the symbol must point to that footprint, with the library name : footprint name combination.

I’m not sure how I can follow this info (save the current lib to the new .pretty format). I’ve created my new lib and imported the symbol into that lib and so on and so forth, until it all stopped there.

If the downloaded file package does have a .kicad_mod file, why are you trying to use the .mod file?

EDIT: what I said in the previous message is true. There’s only the footprint name in the symbol’s Footprint field without the footprint library name. You have to use the .kicad_mod file, add it to your libraries and point the symbol’s footprint field to it.

Looks like you are skipping a part.
You have to put the footprint file into a library, and add that library to the library table before you can use it.

KiCad’s default libraries are read-only because they are default libraries, and can be overwritten on each update of KiCad.

For more about libraries, have a look at:
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=library%20management%20category%3A19

Thank you, would u be so kind to let me know how can I get to this pointer?

Rene gave a link to an article which describes how to do it.

The zip archive from componentsearchengine has the symbol library files .lib and .dcm and the footprint .kicad_mod. The .mod library is in the older KiCad format for older KiCad versions and isn’t needed.

Done. Thank you very much for your help

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.