IDFv3 exporter on hold?

This has been discusses here before but Ill bring this up again, just in case I missed anything or something has changed since 2 years ago when this was last asked .
Is IDFv3 export still in incomplete state? I’m currently working on commercial project and while Step files can be imported in solidworks, they are a lot bigger hassle to modelers here (They basically have to extrude every component as box and remove all the seperate small parts individually, then bollean all the boxes to make single solid). What’s necessary is basic outline of parts which is what IDF format is supposed to accomplish. Sadly It looks like .idf outline files are non existent for 3D models and there isn’t place where to submit them to kicad repo ether. Any info or update on this would be great.
How everyone else is dealing with this problem?
TIA

Here’s one old thread: Suggestion Box - Complete IDFv3 export.

But to me it suggests that STEP is a viable option, after all.

In 5.1.5 the board can be exported as IDFv3, but I haven’t used it, so I can’t say anything about how well it works.

You can simplify the step models and use them for the export. This means you only need to do it once per footprint which you need to do anyway. (If you keep the wrl model complex then you can even select if you see the simple or complex model by choosing the export type)

And i think stepup has an option to generate bounding boxes from complex models. @maui can surly give more details here.

I exported from KiCad and tried to open with FreeCAD, but FreeCAD gives this python error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.18\Mod\Idf\Idf.py", line 25, in <module>
    import FreeCAD, Part, os, FreeCADGui, __builtin__
<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named '__builtin__'

Maybe @maui can tell more about this.

Went for freecad ‘‘StepUp’’ plugin instead, there is option there to merge solids and do exactly what I want.
Way faster and easier. Thanks for the info.

From what I know of FreeCAD, it’s highly scriptable, and I would not be surprised if you can use it from the command line without even starting the GUI. You may want to look into that if you often have boards or models to convert.

yep :smiley:

I started StepUp using the IDF format to get the board outline in FC, but suddenly I moved to a direct support of .kicad_pcb native format.
I also left IDF format because I couldn’t find any manufacturer which is supporting this standard for 3D models… only STEP or IGES 3D format are available AFAIKI.

It should work even if it is an old standard… In FC0.18.4 it works for me as well as FC0.19

BTW IDF3 has been supersede by IDX which is a standard in MCAD/ECAD collaboration which should include board and models (as STEP).
Unluckily this standard is not freely available unless you pay for the docs.
It would be nice to have it implemented in KiCAD.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.