Idea for Improving PCB Design Software Workflow

When designing a PCB, we typically start with component placement, followed by routing and defining polygons. However, when making changes to a complex PCB, selecting and editing components can be challenging. For instance, if you want to move a component but there are traces, vias, and polygons in the same area, the software, like KiCad, prompts you to choose which element you want to move. Similarly, if you want to edit a trace, the software allows you to select and edit only the trace, but other elements like components or vias might be present in the same area.

My Suggestion:

To simplify the editing process on complex PCBs, I propose introducing multiple editing modes, such as:

• Component Mode: Focuses exclusively on components, allowing you to move or edit them without interference from other elements.
  • Trace Mode: Activates only traces on the selected layer, making it easier to edit or move traces without affecting other elements. You could select a specific layer to work on.
  • Via Mode: Focuses on the selected via and other vias connected to or affecting the selected via, as well as the traces connected to these vias.
  • Polygon Mode: Focuses on editing polygons, such as fills or outlines.
  • Footprint Reference Mode: Enables you to select and edit elements related to footprint references, such as Front Silk or Bottom Silk layers.
  • Custom Selection Mode: Provides flexibility for creating custom editing modes based on user needs.

Current Workflow Challenge:

For example, when moving components on the Top layer, we often hide Bottom layer components, traces, polygons, etc., to make our edits. This approach can obscure components on the Bottom layer that might be affected by the changes we’re making.

Proposed Solution:

Using these new editing modes, you can make targeted edits without needing to hide or close layers. This method ensures that you can make precise adjustments while still considering the impact on components and elements on other layers, improving efficiency and accuracy in complex PCB designs.

The first part of your wish has already been fulfilled. The selection filter creates a “mode” for selecting certain kind of things and not others. I would also recommend trying Layer Display Options → Presets.

Combining an item filter, layer visibility and the ability to see, select and edit only certain things in some integrated way could be… challenging. To me it almost sounds like KiCad should read your mind to know what you actually want. There are too many things going on at the same time.

At least you should show a complex example of some situation, explain what you want to achieve there, and explain exact steps you would like to take to do something.

1 Like

Thats true. But it would be really useful if kicad had a sub component mode. so that you could select many points from many separate items at the same time this way editing a complex polygon would be in many cases way easier. One would then no longer of the center of segment handles as such.

(post deleted by author)

As @eelik mentions above:

ksnip_20240905-000124

Bottom RH corner of the screen.

Note: the message by “discretecircuit” looks like an AI assisted modification of the original post. Another one, and the account will be deleted immediately unless they have proven to be genuine KiCad user.

1 Like

I missed that when I green lighted the post initially. Seems to be a legit company so we’ll see. Board manufacturers are welcome to ‘add content’ and build reputation by helping the community.

Anyway, I read the list afresh and can give an example. For silkscreen check or inspection I have used a certain combination of Layers and Objects in the Appearance panel. See How to Handle Component References for SMD boards - #7 by eelik for the details. That would be the “Footprint Reference Mode”. The combination of Layer and Object visibility can be saved as a Preset.

I have a vague feeling that somebody has sometimes suggested adding a similar preset system for the selection filter. If that would be combined with the current Layer Presets, this would pretty much cover the wishlist as far as I can see. If not, more detailed explanation of the use cases is needed.