How to use the jumper symbol

In that case I only seem to be able to show that I am jumping one track only. The curved part of the jumper symbol I place over a wire. One end is connected to a track as is the other end. But how do you SHOW a jumper that jumps over multiple tracks?

Maybe you are misunderstanding the purpose of the jumper ? it’s purpose is to make or not make a connection, its not about bridging over a track.

What jumper footprint are you using on your PCB ?

2 Likes

ksnip_20230419-171915

This is a jumper. It may be jumping over one or twenty one tracks. When someone reads the schematic they then know there is a jumper between female connector pin 2 and transformer pin 2. It is inconsequential how many tracks the jumper jumps.

It is a bit like locating a potentiometer on the top of a box and the attaching wires go to a connector on the PCB. Where the wires dangle across the board and the location of the Pot. are inconsequential as far as the schematic is concerned.

In fact it may jump over 0 tracks. Often it’s there so that a connection may be made or not at the time the board is prepared for operation.

Worth repeating. Or looking from the other side, a PCB is one realisation of a schematic. Other realisations are breadboard prototypes, and simulations (would that be a virtual realisation?, my head is spinning).

Said in a different way: you can regard a jumper as a primitive DIP-switch. On a schematic, you’d normally show the jumpers in their default settings. That’s why you have the option of NC and NO versions.

1 Like

You may find this useful - use an existing symbol or create your own.
Can create a Footprint that includes 3D Step file for Graphic on PCB (and, can be used as Stand-Alone without Schematic… Screenshot#2)

Link to older post containing .ZIP of the 3D Steps files…

Screenshots

Still pretty lost here. Now I will be very specific. I have a capacitor C2 connected on one side to ground and on the other by a pcb track to pin 2 of a comparator. But pin 2 of the comparator must also be connected to pin 6 of the same comparator. To do this the jumper must jump 2 pcb tracks. I am using or trying to use jumper 2 bridged. Not sure if this would be the right one.
The reality here of a real circuit is that the connecting wire would be on the component side of the board and soldered to the board on the other side.
Do I perhaps draw a little circuit like you show which is completely separate from the schematic. As I said I am completely lost here.
Any help would be appreciated.

If pin 2 is permanently connected to pin 6 then you do not need a jumper symbol. When you come to create the layout there are ways of handling the crossover. In a 2 layer board the other layer is available for connections. Then there are vias available. At the schematic stage physical layout is not a concern.

1 Like

In the schematic, you don’t need to use jumpers if the traces cross. They will not be joined unless you specifically join them with a junction dot. See this thread and many others. I think the consensus amongst the devs is that “jumpers” will NOT be implemented.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Is there a converse of a net tie?

Hi @petercl14 ,

Are we still on Schematic or are we now on PCB?

I’m still wondering if we’re on Schema and the OP is discussing Hop-overs (or unders, Bob :slightly_smiling_face:) or Jumpers (woolen :ram: or synthetic).

Ok I’ve split off Bob’s question to another thread to avoid confusing Peter even more. I am uncertain whether he’s mixing up schematic and layout concerns, or as 3Dogsthebigg suggests he’s expecting hopovers (that taboo word!) in the schematic.

@retiredfeline ,
Please don’t blame 3Dogs, I’m the naughty person who mentioned that taboo word. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi
I am just wondering if this is a single sided PCB that you intend to etch yourself or a standard 2 layer from one of the many Asian suppliers ?
:mouse:

What about skippers? Are they under consideration?

When I was in Thailand designing power supplies for a Taiwanese company in 2000, we were putting SMT components on single sided boards. We also had 2 sided and probably multilayer, but this particular project was single sided. At that time, American suppliers no longer offered single sided pcbs.

Unfortunately all this speculation and infokill about what was really meant has made OP dogatonic. :frowning:

I think you are barking up the wrong potato. wait… (??)

I don’t know why kicad have jumpers when it is so difficult to implement them. I have an idea which may work but have not tested it yet.
You take 1 jumper, say a solder jumper, and connect one end to a track from, for example, an op amp output. This is the solder point at this end. The other end of the jumper is not connected because this is attached to the jumper wire. Then the connecting wire at the other end is connected to another jumper. Again one end is left unconnected and the other end is connected to a track from perhaps another op amp. This then is the solder point at the other end.
Each unconnected end of the jumper can be referenced the other end of the jumper wire using the component editor.
If you only use 1 jumper you are going to have to draw a track on the schematic which will later be seen as a track on the circuit board.
In all of the above I am referring to using a jumper on the schematic.