How to set PCB thickness before exporting from kiCad?

Dear All,

I have successfully exported PCB from kiCad and imported in to FreeCAD. Now I have to check the fitments of PCB with enclosure. I want to know the thickness of PCB. How kiCad assign PCB thickness. Usually 1.5mm to 2mm thickness for FR-4 PCB. Can we set PCB thickness ourselves on kiCad? any suggestions please?

thanks
pmk

You will specify the PCB thickness with the PCB manufacturer (or services like OSHpark who have a fixed 1.6mm standard PCB thickness). iTead allows others like 0.8mm, 1mm etc.
KiCAD doesn’t care how thick the PCBs are, it only generates the images that get put on the top and bottom layers (and inner layers).
Is there a way to specify this in FreeCAD?

1 Like

When you export VRML from KiCad, the PCB thickness is 1.6mm too.

2 Likes

I have to check the seating of PCB on enclosure which is designed in FreeCad. I can import in to FreeCad and seated with Enclosure. So, if I know the actual PCB size (produced by kiCad image) which should b equal to the actual PCB (FR-4 pcb material), say 1.6mm, I can adjust the dimension of the enclosure for correct fitments. That is why I am asking the dimension of the PCB whether it is image or else. I like to convey the kiCad developers to look in to this issue that would help all designers in future.

this is also what I want to know. But it will be better in keyCad to provide facilities to set PCB size by the users.

thanks
pmk

2 Likes

This can be done to change the 3D model thickness. I am using 5.1.8

image Use board Setup.
On the Layers Page there should be a thickness option.

This does change the thickness on the VRML export and Free Cad Import.

1 Like

But not anymore in KiKAD 6.0.0

Board Setup → Physical Stackup

@ elik
Thanks
you make very fast replies