How to request account deleting?

Here’s my take on it and I’m English, I would not have been happy either, to me it would have been like getting told off at school except were not kids and no wonder he blew up. Had it been face to face a swift ’ f^^^k off ’ would have ended the matter but we are all grown ups here and that would have been disgraceful, so being a gentleman and an engineer he did, in his eyes, the next best thing and ’ f^^^^d off ’ It’s kinda funny that only the other day we discussed only speaking English here and now we are discussing its nuances. As I said earlier in the thread “It will be a loss” but at the end of the day it’s for @baldengineer to decide his role on the forum.
:mouse:

1 Like

Why say anything? He already pointed out that someone else might have a better solution. Telling him that he shouldn’t have offered his help is insulting.

More than that, it’s not your place to pass judgment on someone else’s honest attempt to offer help.

Perhaps it would be best if those who cannot understand basic courtesy and politeness not be placed in positions of trust and responsibility, such as being a moderator?

3 Likes

No we cannot!!! :smiley: (added text to make 20 characters.)

The simplest solution that I didn’t think of when I was thinking about it.

To be honest, I only read that statement once.
Not remembering its content meant that I read paulvdh statement a little differently than I should have.

I don’t know why I was only fixated on the content and not on the purpose of the statement at all.

This again comes down to the option of not speaking when you can remain silent, which I forgot about when I tried to analyze the exact content of the statement itself.

Thanks.
Now I see that I was wrong to defend that statement.

The issue remains that I really thought that the best method for the power input pin is to not run ERC and few times was told to not say that :slight_smile:
In V5, I don’t think it was possible to block individual ERC tests. Now I guess you can, so there is another and better option.

1 Like

Being told not to say that is wrong. It is an alternative, one that some may use.
Like you, @Piotr, I never use ERC. :grinning:

I commented late in that thread, after the problem occurred, when I finally re-read the entire thread, that the OP was using 7.0.9, so the Ctrl + E could not work because that function was not available 'till 8.
Maybe the baldengineer was the only correct reply given :thinking:

1 Like

I am still in V7 (7.0.11) and I remember that I learned the "Edit Pad as Graphic Shapes - Ctrl+E) when beginning using V7. I don’t know if it was also in V6 as I used V6 for very short period. When V6 came I found that I have to change my working PC from Win7 to Win10 and it took me more than half year.
I don’t like throwing away things that simply work (I work at PC not connected to Internet so Win7 being not supported is generally not a problem).

If not new functionality was added to Ctrl+E than it certainly is in 7.0.9.

Thanks for correcting me. I realy thought it was introduced for 8. I’ve corrected my comment.

I’ve been looking at this thread for the better part of a week now, and am still at loss for a decent answer.
Sure, my remark in that other thread was not very subtle, but it was not insulting or meant in any demeaning way. Apparently it got interpreted that way, and I am sory for that and apologize.

I made the answer out of confusion. If he knows the “better answer”, then why does he not post that?
There have been quite a lot of topics where I did not know the answer myself, spent half an hour or more just to figure out how some thing works in KiCad, and then post the answer.

But I also believe it cuts both ways. To me, the reaction of baldengineer seems quite extreme and over the top.
It reminds me of

People are humans, and humans make mistakes, and as a result, you need to be tolerant of mistakes other people make.
I guess that the amount of posts I create (and time I spend on this forum) also distorts the situation. I am not a moderator, am not an “official representative” of this forum. I am just a regular user who tends to post a lot.

I have never been good at interpreting social relations, and people reacting emotionally to something that was meant to be practical quite often baffles me. From reading other reactions in this thread, it becomes clear to me there is quite a range of responses from different people.

4 Likes

Paul:

You do indeed post a lot, and are a wealth of kicad knowledge. Likewise, @baldengineer has contributed a lot of great insight on this forum. It’s a real shame that this escalated as it has, and the kicad community would lose valuable contributions if either of you left.

Sigh – I get myself into similar situations from time to time, due to being a bit asperger (like many engineers), so I understand your perspective. Not everyone is empathetic.

I hope you guys can put this behind you, and we can just start sharing knowledge again.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a way to contact @baldengineer outside of this forum? I was hoping he would come back and read some posts in this thread at least but I guess not. If someone has a way to reach out, he might could at least come back and give the forum a second chance.

He has a channel on YouTube called ‘AddOhms’ and occasionally does electronics live streams, next time he posts I will be asking how he is.
:mouse:

1 Like

It’s simply a matter of etiquette and politeness. I don’t think it is polite to tell others what they should or should not post. Some people like argument for argument’s sake; save that for when you are within striking distance, not hiding behind a keyboard.

I have been using KiCAD for almost 10 years now, and Protel before that, but I seldom post here because it sometimes seems like a shark tank. I just read, and try to absorb the vast knowledge contained here, but have no appetite for argument…there’s more to life than being right.

1 Like

Therein lies the problem: no one NEEDS to be tolerant, if the post in question seems pointed at them. And you are not the arbiter of what others need to do. There is such a thing as ‘emotional intelligence’; the ability to get along with others depends on it, and it has nothing to do with IQ. Again, there’s more to life than being right.

1 Like

Indeed. For me, only a part of my life is about being right. The other part is the others being wrong.

2 Likes

20+ years ago a psychologist told me that if you say:
1.In such situation you should not do that.
than everyone perceive it as a personal attack. But when you say:
2. In such situation it is better to not do that.
nobody will perceive it as personal attack as it’s not directed at him, it’s just a general statement.

But I think here we come to differences in languages. In Polish sentence 1. can’t be used in meaning of sentence 2 while in English I suppose it not only can be used but often it is practically understood as 2. In Polish sentence 1 is always directly addressed to your interlocutor and can’t be understood as being addressed to all people, while sentence 2 is always aimed at the entire population.

English is not my natural language, so I’m not sure how people exactly perceive these sentences but knowing that they have in English very close meaning (not sure, but I think so) I suppose that people may perceive sentence 1 as 2 and 2 as 1.
Because of the huge difference in these sentences in Polish and that paulvdh used 2 I from beginning didn’t see any personal attack in what he said. I only agreed that it would be better to not say anything.
But if in his language the difference between 1 and 2 is the same as in Polish than I perfectly understand that in his intention he didn’t said anything personally directed and he was very surprised by the extremely violent reaction.
And generally (in Polish) there is nothing wrong in saying some global rule if it is true as it is clearly not addressed to anyone personally. May be in English it is different.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, this subject doesn’t want go away; so, with a little luck this will be the END.

The above comment was the start of the problem. The comment was directed at baldengineer.

This below was the reply.
The comment can be interpreted as: baldengineer really couldn’t remember, or, used this as an excuse because he didn’t want to be shown as giving a less than perfect answer.

The below was the final comment.
The quote was given and the second person singular “you” was used. This means it was directed at baldengineer.
Had the quote been missing and the sentence been constructed in a manner to show “you” as second person plural or an alternative such as “If anyone knows…” the comment would have been directed at the general population.

I doubt the last sentence, repeated below, was even noticed by baldengineer.

1 Like

A while back I’ve been seeing some video’s from Marshall Rosenberg about “non violent communication”. (The giraffe and jackal thing). It is a truly amazing technique, but it is also very subtle. I’ve also seen some video’s from others teaching the same technique, but (at least to me) they tend to miss some details and the essence get (mostly) lost.

I’ve bookmarked this thread and will read it again soon at a moment my mind is more open to psychological input. :slight_smile:

I have set a closing timer for this topic. We will hardly get any important fresh views, opinions have already been shared. If somebody has something really new and different, they can open a new topic or ask in a PM to open this again.

You should have set the timer for one minute, not one hour. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.