How to make X2SON footprint for TI TLV71310PDQN

@keruseykaryu I just want to get a knowledge about how layers are used .

I think I had this in mind when I wrote it:

@Joan_Sparky Thanks !

Ah! Those ones.
Well. This are the guidelines for commiters who wants to contribute to official KiCad libraries. If one follows his own path do not have to worry about them.

Yeah… I just thought it might help to see/understand the use cases of those layers etc… and what to do from the guys who do this for KiCAD on a ‘professional’ level.
They made those rules for a reason and I hope from good practice. :wink:

1 Like

Yes
but once you want to comply with the 0.04mm solderpaste clearence suggested by texas your footprint looks like this.

I don’t have your color-sheme… what is what?

That the soldermask setback for sharp-corners is sub-par (and causes artifacts) should be obvious by looking at the screenshot I posted further up. KiCAD can’t do that better at the moment.
Workaround is either using a lot of small pads or simplifying/swapping the pad shape for something less obnoxious.

And with 0.04mm solder mask clearance the footprint I made up there actually looks like this (paste layer not really visible in this):

grey = solder-paste

i just opened your .mod file and showed paste

You’re sure it’s solder past clearance and not solder mask clearance?

Doesn’t the setback depend on sieve/stencil thickness and processes?

Personally I use the percentage ratio value (area) and IMHO would chose a less problematic pad shape…

see pic above

i always fail my replies as the “post” button also says reply

The paste mask setback actually is 0.025mm… that’s pretty close to 10%

Another approach… disable paste mask for those pads and put a custom paste mask pad over it, which doesn’t have those problems of disintegrating into sub-pieces?

Or wait for custom shapes to make it and use those.

Yes

the arrival of custom pads is something i am waiting eagerly for.

sometimes choosing your footprints is not an option, we are mostly very constrained in space.

failed again to push the correct reply button

This is what the paste stencil outline would be like when the laser cuts the stencil with your shapes and setback… not too shabby actually. The green piece in the center won’t matter either way - it will just fall out.

True

I was to blind to understand that.

I had already trowed a triangle on the fire also.

not a triangle, hehe that would have been easy, I mean trapezoidal something

Yeah, your special pin 1 is more of a problem, but throw in another pad there and you get the same result.

pin 1 special I just ignored,

its just cosmetic pin-1 marking.

correct paste set-back is different from center pad and the other 4

i only looked at center pad.

my bad

DQN.kicad_mod (3.1 KB)