How to insert footprint option in EESCHEMA in the symbol selection if there is only the option "No default footprint"

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean one footprint for each symbol.
I want some list of options in best case, but at least one in wors case, but im not able manage worst case scenario in default KiCad library, according to what others guys say

There is an easy method to copy symbols from Kicad Libraries to Personal Libraries.

For example:
You wish to copy a number of symbols from the Device Library to your personal Library. You precede your personal library nickname with the letters Df, this means your personal library will be placed immediately below the Device Library.
Now you select the Device Library, right click the symbol required, left click “Save as”, and in the newly opened box, Left click your Personal library then save. Job done.
Move on to next symbol.

Temporarily changing the nickname of a personal library so that library is close to the required Kicad library saves endless scrolling.

There is a FAQ guide, for beginners, to Library creation, that discusses library placement towards the end.

Good luck and welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s an ancient IEEE NAND gate symbol there. Most people would use the normal NAND gate symbol.

It’s only a little amount of effort to assign the footprints later, as already said. To avoid this work you would go to the effort of creating new versions of symbols?

It doesn’t matter which symbol exactly, I would like to have a list of options like the resistor have for every symbol. Because it would be easier to explain to my old colleagues (teachers) who know how to use Eagle that KiCad is very similar and nice software. I myself have been using the footprint assigment tool since the beginning.

@Ondry : regarding your pictures with filled/empty footprint list in the “Add symbol” dialog window:
I think you have found bug, but I would like to see some of the other experienced users to look at that (because I seldom use standard libraries and never use the “DeMorgan” option).
I think in your example picture also the 7400-symbol should show a list of available footprints (as the symbol has a correctly defined footprint filter).

As comparison I take from the 74xx library the:

• 74HCT02
  • 74HCT04

Both have no default footprint defined.
The 74HCT02 shows a empty footprint list, the 74HCT04 shows a filled footprint list according to the footprint filters in the symbol-definition.
Only difference: 74HCT02 has the “DeMorgan” option checked.
If this option is unchecked (tested with a copied symbol in a different library), then suddenly the 74HCT02 also shows a prefilled footprint list.
Could it be that all DeMorgan-symbols show a empty footprint list in the “Add symbol” dialog?

@ mf_ibfeew
I dont even have 74HCT02 or any 74HCTxx in my 74xx library :smiling_face_with_tear:
KiCad 7.0.7

You probably do, just scroll down some . . .

From V7.0.6

. . . did you notice the buglet ? arrowed in blue, looks like the right edge of some of the last characters is cut.

@ RaptorUK
i messed up path in “manage symbol libraries” … :person_facepalming:
but i fixed it, in you are right I have 74HCT now

1 Like

To have my libraries after upgrading to V7 I had to select (at first run) my library lists. I didn’t sow KiCad libraries that were installed with V7. May be you had done something like that and you see old libraries (from V5, V6) even V7 libraries were installed.

I install KiCad libraries as from time to time I copy a footprint from there to my libraries. As footprints are files I copy them into my libraries not with KiCad but with file manager.

Edit.
I spend some time writing and after posting it I sow that you found the path to right libraries.

Don’t worry, the way Autodesk is going, there won’t be Eagle some day. :wink:

(Please don’t follow up about Eagle on this thread, use the existing thread for that: Autodesk will no longer sell nor support EAGLE in 2026 )

The end of Eagle is important argument for switch from Eagle to KiCad at our school.

But still mf_ibfeew says this behavior is maybe bug.

By all means report it. KiCad >> Eagle for responsiveness.

opened issue: missing selection of footprints in "add a symbol" (#15550) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

@Ondry: to fill in the section “Kicad Version” you have to copy the whole information from Kicad Schematic–>Help–>About–>button “Copy Version Info”. If the version information is not complete the gitlab bot will automatically close the issue (as in your case).

recommendation: it’s easier to use the kicad builtin function Help–>Report Bug. This opens directly a prefilled issue template on gitlab, with the version information already filled in.

For Device R I get this . . .

. . . which is different to what @Ondry has shown above, is it down to a config issue ? I looked but didn’t find anything obvious, or might it part of the same bug ?

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 7.0.6, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Jul  6 2023 04:56:45
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.81.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.88.1-DEV
	ngspice: 40
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

You have to click on the pull-down-arrow on the right of “no default footprint” to get the original picture.

I had tried that yesterday and again now . . . I also tried waiting a few mins . . . not helping though.

interesting. I will add this thread to the girlab issue - maybe the pictures are helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve also looked at a few schematic symbols, and most of the 74LSxx (LS is the base for many derived TTL symbols) and in most the No default footprint pulldown box is empty. But for an 74LS74 it does show some dip variants, but no SMT.

This gets weirder.
When I load the 74ls74 in the Symbol Editor, and then File / Symbol Properties / Footprint Filters, then it only shows the DIP variant:

But for the 74LS00 there is also an SO14 in the footprint filters.

The nightly version already got a bugfix (and it was indeed somehow affected by the DeMorgan-setting). So with the next nightly (tomorrow) I can check again.
Or somebody else is faster and compiles the nightly from source :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.