How to get components on the grid

In my first schematic I messed with the grid setting. Now many of my components are off the grid and I cannot wire it up. Is there a way to get all the components on the same grid? Or am I screwed.

right click and select an appropriate grid?
Then pick&move any outliers for alignment?

It seems that once you set a grid value and place the component, it stays on that grid no matter what. I cannot change the grid that the component is on. Darn it. I wish i knew that before I made the whole thing. Now I have to start over.

Of course you can “wire it up”. What’s stopping you? Component pads are quite often not on the grid. You usually have a combination of imperial and metric packages, and mechanical constraints often force things like connectors off the grid. You could constantly switch between metric and imperial grids but it’s not always possible to have everything aligned to a grid.

I think he is talking about schematic not PCB :slight_smile:

If so, there is not an easy way to snap to the grid, it can be done in the GUI by setting the grid to a small value, but rather tedious.

A quicker way if you know what you are doing :slight_smile: is to edit the schematic in a text editor - but this also has pitfalls for the unwary. For each component, there are two lines containing the position that need to be changed. Make sure you use a text editor that does not mangle your text, e.g. Notepad++.

$Comp
L USB_B P2
U 1 1 57D29847
P 1150 3500                                                                                      <<--- position
F 0 "P2" H 1350 3300 50  0000 C CNN
F 1 "USB_B" H 1100 3700 50  0000 C CNN
F 2 "w_conn_pc:conn_usb_Ax2" V 1100 3400 50  0001 C CNN
F 3 "" V 1100 3400 50  0000 C CNN
    1    1150 3500                                                                                   <<--- position
    0    1    1    0   
$EndComp

Obviously, make a backup copy before editing your main file.

1 Like

You would think the forth word in the very first sentence combined with the phrase “wire it up” might have given me a clue. :frowning2:

1 Like

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Well now that I know I will make sure to stick with the 50mil standard. So I have to redo my schematic and stay with the same grid and I think everything will de good. Also when components are mad they need to done on the 50 mil grid. Ok I get it. :flushed:

1 Like