How to get a ratsnest for the selected footprint

I want to hide all rats nest except for when I select a component. When I select the component, I want the rats nest to show only for the selected component.

I thought turning off all ratsnest with the button on the right and turning on local ratsnest with the button on the left would do it, but this disables all rats nests.

I’m using the OpenGL canvas and the nightly builds.

I’ve checked the docs, and it looks like the PCBnew manual in section 3.12 mentions this icon (that I vaguely remember) right under the ‘general rats nest’ icon that sounds like it does what I want, but it doesn’t seem to be on the toolbar with this build anymore…

ISTR local rats nest is not implemented in OpenGL, it was decided it was not needed.

Oh my goodness, why would that be?? I’ve got 500 components here and the screen is a total mess of straight white lines or nothing at all…This seems like a pertinent feature for larger projects…

I dunno, it seems like a weird decision. I find it a useful feature.

Looks like in V5, Legacy Toolset (F9) will highlight rats-nest during move, but “Modern Toolset” (F11) fails to do that.
I also see Legacy has Drag, and “modern Toolset” lacks that too.

Neither seems like much effort, so they both seem like regression errors to me.

It is planned to include something even more powerful then the currently very limited local ratsnest view:

from bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1740156/comments/3

The ‘show local ratsnest’ tool has rather limited usability. For the next development cycle (post-5.0) we plan to have per-net, per-netclass and per-component rat line visibility control. Also it will be possible to change the net colors.

1 Like

That road-map is good to see. I wonder how far away this is ?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.