How to copy sections of layout

I’ve created a nice tidy layout for quad opamp circuit. I’d like to copy this section of layout to create an identical section quad opamp circuit, and also add the new components in the schematic, and somehow keep it all synchronized, rather than having to reroute the new components via the ratsnest.

Is there a way to do this? Would adding heirarchy help? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I’m just ramping up on KiCAD

If you start PCBNew in standalone mode (invoked directly, not from the launcher) there’s “Append board” command which allows you to add another layout to your current board. I use this feature to reuse existing layout blocks.

But then how do you get synced back up with the updated schematic? I’m not talking about simply “panelizing” a finished design, I’m talking about reusing certain parts of a layout as part of a bigger design. So for instance in this case, I’d want to reuse the tidy quad op amp circuit layout, then add the power supply, connectors, and other circuitry that isn’t duplicated.

If I keep the same reference designators as on my schematic, I can keep it in sync.
So in your case I’d isolate the part of schematic for your opamp block, reuse layout and (assuming you keep designators) update the netlist.
Unfortunately (for this approach) I don’t know any way to copy/paste schematic part while maintaining reference designators (they’re reset to default) so I need to restore them manually.

That approach might be OK. I’ll give it a try. I assume you mean this sequence:

1. Start up PcbNew and do the append.
  2. Update the schematic, reannotate.
  3. Start up PcbNew from the launcher, update from schematic.
  4. Fix up the reference designators to match the schematic, and delete any new footprints the update from schematic brought in.

You have to use hierarchical schematic to repeat schematics. Once you have schematics set up you can use Replicate layout action plugin to handle the layout. Not that the plugin has a companion plugin Place footprints

This aproach is wrong from my point of view.

In order to get advantage of MitjaN’s replicate layout footprint:

• Move the schematic part of the quand opamp to a hierarchical sheet. It requires a new annotation. I suggest to update the layout from the schematic at this point with the option “keep existing symbol to footprint associations”
  • Create as many clones of the hierarchical sheet as needed. All the hierarchical sheet clones must point to the same file. Annotate the new sheets.
  • Update the pcb from the schematic
  • Use the Replicate Layout plugin

I have once done a PCB containing an array 3x7 of small PCBs. My solution was not so useful as it seems you are looking for but may be will help.
I just manually placed elements of each small PCB in the same relative positions. Some lines at any graphic layer helped. Routed one of it. Selected all copper at it and duplicated that selection and placed at new position. Tracks automatically got the right, new nets. I don’t remember exactly what I was doing but I suppose that known cursor position why selecting duplicate helps later to get a copy to a right position. In next step I copier tracks from 2 PCBs to next 2 PCBs. Then form 3 PCBs to last 3 PCBs. Having the 7 PCBs column routed I then do the same for whole PCB columns.

Do you mean duplicating the schematic part within same project?
I use my solution when copying part of existing project (Schematic + Layout) into new projects.
For example, I reuse my RF interface part between several projects.
I’m not sure if the Hierarchical sheet would help in this case.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.