How to avoid the 'magnetic' behavior when drawing a track/via

hi!

Is there a way to temporary avoid the avoid the ‘magnetic’ attraction of the via or track to the center of the nearest pad while I’m drawing it? (in GAL and with the mode of the interactive routing set to ‘shove’ or ‘walk around’) (tried shift, alt, ctrl, etc. no success)

I don’t know about temporary but you can disable magnetic pads under preferences->general

2 Likes

I see, but most of the time they are useful, same also can be achieved with the mode ‘Highlight collisions’ of the settings in the interactive router, but most of the time I will prefer to have it in shove or walk around. And is much more comfortable if I don’t need to enter into a menu to choose this.

Ctrl+Shift is the correct modifier (eeschema) Alt+Shift in pcbnew

I am not aware of such a feature.
I agree that it would be useful. (I like to place all drills on a 0.01 or even 0.05mm grid this does include vias.)

To get a feature included in kicad you need to get a motivated developer to implement it. This means go to the bug tracker and add your feature request as a bug report marked wishlist. (If a similar wishlist bug does already exist mark it as “affects me as well”. If you think the original poster did a bad job at selling the idea maybe even post a comment and state for which usecase this might be useful.)
But be warned. Feature requests without a patch ready to be merged and without the support of a developer might take a while to be implemented. (If they ever get implemented at all.)

I have just tested it.
In OpenGL canvas, Shift (alone) disables magnetic pads.

1 Like

@pedro are you a user of nightly builds? (If so it might be a good idea to include this information in your posts ;))
It does not work in kicad 4.0.2 under fedora 23 (I assume this is true in all stable versions in all operating systems.)

But this means a feature request is not necessary as features that run stable in the nightly builds will be included in kicad 5.

doesn’t work for me, Shift, Ctrl, Alt or any combination of them, nor right or left of them, I’m using 4.0.6 on linuxmint 18.1 kde

Edit: I can confirm, in development version it does only with Shift, no need for a wishlist, the only need to do is wait…

Jano has already answered. My nightly is old (January) pre-406

Yes, I should have said I was using a nightly to prevent bob’s scold :slight_smile:

I installed stable just in case. (Ok i mostly did it to check if pull requests screw up the stable release.)