How to add footprint of six pin male SIL connectors + newbie kicad setup problems

Wrong filter settings. (You need the one i marked green plus the one i marked blue in my previous post.)

1 Like

OK thanks. I was able to associate footprint with each component and update the layout. But since footprints of all capacitors and both ICs were updated, it seems that I have to re route the layout from air wires. So I was thinking that since I only wanted to update the footprint of the 7X2 connector to 1X6 connector, can I not delete the old footprint in the layout, add the new footprint from the library and re-route the necessary signal wires?

Yes. That is what I would do when only a few footprints are involved, for exactly the reason you mentioned: to preserve as much of the work already completed as possible.

In PCBNew, use either the “E” shortcut key, or right-click, while hovering over a footprint. Depending on your version, you will select either “Edit Parameters” or the “Properties” menu. Click the “Change Footprint” button, and enter the new footprint’s name . (The format is {Registered Library Name} : {Footprint Name}. ) Click “Apply” and you should get a message saying “Change footprint . . . . . OK”.

The “new footprint name” might be identical to the “old” name! This is useful if you had to make some change to an existing footprint - say, change a hole size, for example. The footprint on your board will NOT get updated unless you bring the changed footprint onto your board using either the “Change Footprint” feature, or importing a netlist.

Also notice the choices in the “Options” section of the “Change Footprint” menu. They allow you to define the scope of the change process, from a single instance of one footprint, to all the footprints on the board.

After changing a footprint on a board you really should change the footprint name in the schematic, then generate a new netlist. At the very least, this keeps DRC happy.

Dale

2 Likes

I was able to place a footprint of 1X6 pin connector on the PCB. But when I was trying to extend the VCC wire to pin no. 2, I was unable to do so and got error in the box below. Since I have to change the pin connection ordering, I am re-routing the wires.