How does one import a mechanical drawing for the board into KiCAD

The creating custom footprints docs do not explain how to add mechanical mounting holes to a footprint. I can follow the process of making a footprint (or at first read it makes sense) and adding pads, that seems to make sense. However, I want unplated holes associated with the footprint. Can that be done in the same menus? The example for the doc is simple - I need something slightly more complicated. I will go and try, but I thought I would ask first.

Separate question is there an auto-router, or do I have to route the board by hand? So far I have not found any instructions for auto-routing. I used auto-routers in the 80ā€™s. My simple board can be hand routed, but if I donā€™t have to, Iā€™d rather not.

Perhaps this will do it for youā€¦

mount_Holes

1 Like

There is no autorouter, see one of the many threads on this forum for why thatā€™s the case (and probably will remain the case).

That being said: the interactive router has a number of features that make routing quite easy. Consider playing with the options to see what fits your style of routing best.

Thanks. Pretty much understand adding holes to the edge cut area, and or importing a CAD drawing for the board. Got that. Seems I could also draw the board outline in KiCAD, which you show in your video.

My new and hopefully refined question is about having mechanical holes (for the display) in the footprint editor, so the part mounting holes track the part pins. As I understand it, Pin1 is at 0,0? What grid is needed. The non plated mounting holes are not on a standard grid. (Donā€™t blame me, thatā€™s how it is made!) The pins with plated through holes and pads are on a 2.54mm spacing. Is this possible in the footprint editor?

Excellent!

Yes

Yep, same process as for holes on PCB. Draw them in the Footprints on Edge_cut layer.

Regarding Dimensions: The hole stay where you put them relative to the Footprint. As far as Position details/dimensioinsā€¦ Learn how to view the Coord/positons at bottom of panel and in the various item editors, they have dimension/location fields.
Also, learn about the Gridā€¦

@Bruce_Labitt
My bed time.
Iā€™ll leave you in the more than capable hands of @BlackCoffee

Below are instructions I lifted from a previous thread on library creation. They may help you.
Cheers,

After finding a suitable place for the personal libraries, with the computer Operating System, create three folders.
Name these folders ā€œPersonal_Kicad_ Symbol_Librariesā€,ā€œPersonal_Kicad_Footprint_Librariesā€ and ā€œPersonal_Kicad_3D_modelsā€ (or use similar names to your personal satisfaction).
Next, go into Kicad > Footprint Editor > File > Add Library > Global
You will be asked to select a folder. You navigate to the folder using the selection in the green box.
In your case, it will be D (lower green arrow).
Next select your newly created footprint folder and highlight.
Next give your new library a name (Top RH corner of new window) then Save.
You now have a personal global footprint library.

You will now find your new footprint library in the library list on the LHS of your footprint and PCB editor.
Libraries are listed in numeric followed by alphabetic order, so you may need to hunt for the library.

Next, go to Preferences > Manage Footprint Libraries > Global Libraries , and scroll to the bottom of the list.
Personal Libraries are always at the bottom of this list.
You will notice the ā€œnicknameā€ and the ā€œlibrary pathā€
If you ever change ANYTHING in the library path you will have to go through this whole procedure again to allow Kicad to find your library.
As mentioned above, the library list showing in the PCB & Footprint Editor is in numeric followed by alphabetic order, but if you wish to relocate, for convenience, your personal library, you can change the name in the ā€œNicknameā€ column. eg. changing a name from ā€œSFUSatClubā€ to ā€œ3SFUSatClubā€ will move your library from somewhere in S to the top of the PCB & Footprint editors lists.

Follow the exact same procedure to create symbol libraries BUT this time use the Symbol Editor and place in the Symbol folder and use Preferences > Manage Symbol Libraries.

Kind of surprised, really. Like I was using an auto-router in the 80ā€™s. So like 40 years agoā€¦ As I mentioned, my new board is simple enough to do by hand. Iā€™m astonished. Seems thereā€™s a way to go here. Gives me a lot of pause. Like not considering KiCad for anything complicated.

Um, I have no style of routing, and I have no idea of what best practice is. What do you recommend?

There are lots of autorouters out there, and have been for a long time as you say, but the good ones have been (and mostly remain) the domain of expensive software. My understanding is it is a deceptively difficult programming challenge that people dedicate careers to, and thereā€™s no one working on this open source project who has that ability/time to get good when there are constantly other features to add.

In terms of style, Iā€™m no expert, but I prefer the default ā€œwalk aroundā€ router since I do parts placement first and it is rare for me to adjust it. Some people prioritize routing though, so they might do a very rough parts placement and then let the router shove less important parts as needed. I assume highlight collisions gives you the most freedom, but Iā€™ve not needed it.

Well, Iā€™m not suggesting you abandon Kicad but, I will make you aware (if not already knowing) that Fritzing is a very nice app designed for one/two layer PCBā€™s. It has a nice adjustable Autorouter and many Parts (e.g., footprint).

Easy to use but not as full-featured as Kicad but, you wonā€™t be hindered by that until working on complex projects (years from now).

I used Fritzing for several years after abandoning Eagle and I did well over ~200 PCBā€™s using Fritzing

Where might I find succinct information on that? I understand the pins need to be on the grid 0.050"/1.27mm. Can I have mounting holes (specified in the footprint editor) off grid?

I didnā€™t find Fritzing appealing. Rather use KiCad for now.

This first board will be 4 layer, two for power and ground (might be split plane power) and two for wiring. This will be used to control a stepper motor so I need the planes to make this more robust. I also have a VFD generating 3 phase power for a lathe motor nearby so I donā€™t want the circuitry to be noise susceptible. Hope 4 layers is sufficient. I do know it will be better than the flying wires I have now!

Iā€™m not encouraging the use of Fritzing (except to folks with limited needs and/or skills). That said, and by coincidence I made single-layer Stepper Motor boards using Fritzing and they work perfectlyā€¦ Hereā€™s Two of themā€¦

Gridsā€¦

Generally, placement of Parts and Design features strive for the Standard of 0.10 Inch (2.54mm) Pitch and decrease/increase by multiples of Halves.

Thus, some large parts use Pitch of 3.79mm and larger and small parts use Pitch of 1.27mm and 0.635mm

You can set the Gird on the Fly, as neededā€¦ and use the Info displayed at the bottom the PCB panel and, Yes, you can place Mounting Holes/other where you want and need them (on or off the grid)ā€¦

Iā€™m sure that it isnā€™t easy, otherwise it would have been done. Are there that many more features to add to KiCAD that really warrant attention, or are they easy window dressing? I donā€™t want to infer that anyone is kicking the can down the road, but, one would think that 40 YRO technology should be able to be incorporated.

I canā€™t even imagine selecting KiCAD for a commercial endeavor (or an 8-10 layer board) due to the lack of auto-routing. Youā€™d have to be pretty expert to do such a board, and it would take quite a while, like months and months. My experience with auto-routing was quite good, 6-8 layer boards of decent complexity being done in under 10 minutes. Rarely there were a few nets it couldnā€™t place.

Ten years ago we were doing 8 layer high density boards (not created by me, but I used the boards) with 0201s and fine grid BGAā€™s for radars. They would have taken a very long time to route by hand, they were all auto-routed in hours.

That is what I need to know, thanks!

Yeah, would be nice if Kicad had embedded Autorouter. But, I (and many other experienced engineers prefer to route manually).

There are Autorouter plugins for Kicad, if you google aroundā€¦

Is freerouting any good? Does it work for V6?

I am not an experienced PCB engineer. Not even sure if I want to become one. I just want boards that work for the least amount of my input. At the moment, I am like a one handed wallpaper hanger - Iā€™m doing everything. (System design, software design, mechanical design, machining, testing etc.) In my view, the pcb and its design should be a minor amount of the work, as compared to the total of everything else. My comments are not to denigrate those that are skilled in the art, but a recognition that I am not expert in this, so I desire to use machines, ie computers to do tasks. I machine things by hand. If I wanted to do a lot of pieces, Iā€™d want to automate the effort, so Iā€™d gravitate towards CNC. Routing, at least to me, seems like it should be automated. Will it be as tastefully done? Probably not. Anyways, this is a moot discussion for the base KiCAD, as thereā€™s no native auto-router.

Thanks for continuing to answer my questions, I greatly appreciate it. I have learned a lot.

I understandā€¦ and will conclude as follows:

I canā€™t comment on Autorouters (beyond what I already posted) as I do Not use them (except for curiosity investigation).

I CNC mill my PCBā€™s so I most often strive for designing Single and Two layer boards and use Jumper wires (as seen in Motor control above).

And, I have many Hand-Drawn schematics and often Doodle a new one while drinking BlackCoffee and thus, seldom bother to make Schematic in Kicad. Most often, I just create the PCB.
When I need a Schematic, I make one - usually itā€™s only so I can run the Simulator. But, most often for simulations, I use LTspice (I have Kicad setup to run LT spice for simulations, instead of NGspice)ā€¦ a different story.

Happy to answer your questions and hope youā€™ll do more Googling for answers - thus getting other perspectives

I have written it few times here at forum so everyone except you probably read it. About 20 years ago our employee autorouted PCB and got 100% done so he ordered PCB. There was one problem with it - it didnā€™t worked. The problem was - the digital data line was 1cm length and clock to that lina was routed around the whole PCB - the track was about 25cm length.
It was first and last time we used autorouter.

You should assume that your needs are not exceptional and there should be in library footprints with what you need. RJ45 connectors probably have unplated holes (in past I had one V5 installation with my libraries and second with KiCad libraries to see them in such a moment, but now I have only one Win10 PC so have there my libraries and canā€™t check to write precision footprint name).
If you select for a pad: Pad Type: NPTH, Mechanical and have Pad size equal to Pad hole you will get what you want.

I get an impression you didnā€™t read the thread linked to above, or other threads mentioned in Autorouting, autorouter, autoplacing. Then you can buy the T-shirt ā€œNEVER trust the autorouterā€ t-shirt.