How bad is "malformed_courtyard]: Footprint has malformed courtyard (self-intersecting)" error

I ask because I can’t see anything wrong in the outline.
I think I have checked this board with previous version 6.07, but now I see several these errors on a connector.
This is V6.08 and W10/64

Maybe there are duplicate lines/line segments covering each other. Happens a lot.

Not very serious then? I wonder why it is an error and not a warning.
Maybe clean up board should handle these too

The courtyard is quite important for checking colliding footprints, so a malformed courtyard being an error makes sense to me.

Courtyard problems if footprints are usually errors in libraries. The better way would be to fix the library instead of doing changes to the footprints on the board.

If anything, this would be implemented as a “cleanup polygons” function of the footprint editor. But if you’re drawing the footprint courtyards manually using the rectangle tool, you’re unlikely to create problems. These errors only appear when downloading footprints from dubios sources (maybe converted from other formats).

I have not (yet) made any foot prints myself, so this is either from KiCad or Digikey’s footprint sources. I wonder why this came up now, I made this PCB in August/september. So any errors should have been visible with previous version of KC. I don’t think I could have forgotten them.

And of course, this not worth an error in PCB, isn’t it.

https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=malformed%20courtyard

Interesting links, thanks. Did they get any solution or help for the problem? I’ll see them later myself.

Trust but verify. :wink: Think of ANY library as a head start and nothing more until you have verified it and copied it to your personal library for future use.

2 Likes

And of course, this not worth an error in PCB, isn’t it.

I like the current setting as error for my workflow: it’s a library-error - so with good (and checked) libraries these error doesn’t occurs. And if the DRC displays the “malformed courtyard”-message the footprint should be directly repaired: this is one-time task and prevents this error for all future use of this footprint.

If you are unhappy with the error-classification you are free to change the severity to warning/ignore:
File–>Board Setup–>Design Rules–> Violation Severity–>Design for manufacturing–>Footprint has malformed courtyard.

Because this seems to pop up every now and then, I wrote a FAQ article: Courtyard: what is it and how to use, what is the "malformed" error.

3 Likes

I have to study footprint making

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.