Helped with print design form railroad model

Dear all,

I’m not a user of Kicad, but I have a model train lay out (1:87). I have 3D print of 2 signals and need 2 small prints (only 3 LED each + 4 connection pads) to lighten these. A colleague of mine has made gerber files of the individual prints. I’m not able to create a multipanel with a number of each single print.
Is somebody willing to help me?

Thanks

Ivo

It sounds like you are asking for help with the task we commonly call “panelization” or “panelizing”. I don’t have personal experience performing that process. I believe there are third-party tools that can do the task, starting from Gerber files. Try searching this Forum, and then the 'net, to uncover these tools.

KiCAD does not yet have a built-in feature to automatically create a panelized design before plotting Gerber files, but it is possible to achieve the effect with some work-arounds. (Of course, this only applies to layouts that originated in KiCAD.) A recent thread dealing with a similar topic is Problem with Gerber Outline and Drill files (panel, mousebites, slots)

Some PCB fabricators will panelize a design for you - perhaps at very low cost, if you purchase a large number of panels.

Panelizing boards into an array on a large sheet is typically associated automated assembly processes of a large batch. For small batches (up to a few dozen copies of an assembly), panelizing offers few advantages and it is less expensive to purchase individual boards from quick-turn, low-cost PCB fabricators.

Dale

2 Likes

Hi Dale,

That is correct. I meant “panelization”. I need only 10 pcb’s and it has approx. 10 pieces per type on a panel…