Good RF connector schematic library and footprints

Looking for some SMA connector symbols and footprints.

Cheers!
-GigaVolt

The rather comprehensive collection at:

http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad.htm

has an RF section with:

bnc_90_1-1337543-0 (connettore BNC ad angolo, Tyco P/N 1-1337543-0)
bnc_straight_1-1337541-0 (connettore BNC diritto, Tyco P/N 1-1337541-0)
coaxial_u.fl-r-smt-1 (connettore coassiale SMD Ultra small, Hirose P/N U.FL-R-SMT-1)
lemo_epb00250ntn (connettore LEMO, P/N EPB.00.250.NTN)
sma_90_r300.124.403 (connettore SMA femmina, polarità invertita, ad angolo, Radiall P/N R300.124.403)
sma_smd_73251-135x (connettore SMA femmina SMD diritto, Molex P/N 73251-135x)
sma_straight_32k101-400l5 (connettore SMA femmina diritto, Rosenberger P/N 32K101-400L5)

You’ll also find quite a few SMA connectors on gedasymbols.org, some of which came from the above library:

http://www.gedasymbols.org/scripts/search.cgi?key=sma

Kicad is, of course, able to load gEDA PCB (.fp) format footprints.

Cheers,

Erich.

Thanks Erich. Will give it a try.

-GigaVolt.

Can KiCad import gEDA schematic symbols too?

Nothing suitable in the official libs?

1 Like

The link you provided has only the .mod files. Where can I find the .lib files for the schematic symbols?

There is an updated.lib file on GitHub, but I cannot download the .lib file. How do I download?

If you don’t want to use git to download the libs you can download the entire set of schematic symbols as a zip file

There are the following symbols available in the linked libs.

If these are not suffcient to your needs, please consider drawing new symbols and contribute them back to the community

2 Likes

Hello. Sorry to dig out this thread but I wanted to avoid creating a new one on the same subject.
I cannot find this “conn_coax” symbol. The only one I can find is a “BNC” one. Is it suitable?

What version are you using that you cannot find “conn_coax”? If I type BNC into search that’s the one that comes up for me in V5? That indicates they are probably now the same symbol in the new libraries. I keep my libraries synced with github.

I’m using Kicad version 4.0.5+dfsg1-4 under Debian Stretch.

I think there were quite some changes in libraries for symbols and footprints from version 4 to 5. Can I sync my version with github too? If so, how it’s done?

You are in a hard place now. I just checked and Debian backports are now using V5. They had been using V4.0.7.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/kicad

That is the way to go if you want to stick to the packages. BUT…

If you have started this project and and have others in V4 make sure you read about upgrading. Just use the BNC symbol. I don’t know if anyone has commented yet on using the Debian package system for upgrading.

I was already about to upgrade to stretch-backports version. Am I gonna run into problems of back compatibility?

I doubt it will be painless. For completed projects, less so. Each V4 project should have a cache to work from so it will be independent of libraries. Symbols and footprints I believe. I think you get a dialog to remap the symbols to current libraries.

The Debian packagers probably worked overtime to make sure all V4 stuff gets stripped out of the system so there won’t be any ‘collisions’. Upgrading is inevitable. Timing is the question. I had started a small project and just decided I’d restart it from scratch. If you are further along you may want to complete what you have and then do the upgrade. There are others far more knowledgeable than I about the process but like I’ve said, I don’t know that any of them went the backport route yet.

Ok, I just upgraded and I’ll see where this is going. The small project I’m starting is very small and simple. Very few components. I’ll see how it goes!

I’ll then open an older project built in version 4.0.5 and then I’ll see how it goes too!

Good luck. :wink:

Ok, this could probably be of less pain if I haven’t decided to manually delete old version folders that the apt couldn’t remove due to those folders not being empty. That pop up window you said it should pop up, it did but the 1st option that was to use the default global library was greyed out. heheh. Anyway I think I don’t need to open these old projects because I already have them on PCBs, so it’s probably ok.

I’ll be trying to figure out now the new version and try to find the SMA connector schematic symbols and later the footprints.

This is what I’m asked to input and not sure what to do!
kicad

It tells you what to do if you are not sure…