GerberZipper, plot and zip plugin

My general 2c is that this is the sort of thing a plugin is good for handling. Just need a good plugin API. If you put this into the C++ code, you have to drag in the zip and maybe the rar libraries for something which is only used a tiny fraction of the time, and it gets harder to maintain because it’s in C++ instead of Python.

Also there doesn’t have to be one true way to do things. Both a simple plugin, the extensive KiBot and others that may come along can coexist. The first is good for people who have a simple workflow. It would be good to encourage more participation in the KiCad software ecosystem by plugins and libraries of them. You can see the power of systems like the Arduino IDE. The IDE provides the framework and the breadth of the library is vast. The IDE even accommodates toolchains for different CPUs like ESP32.

zip was already dragged in for compressed 3D file support, so there’s nothing to loose in that respect.

The real problem is, again, lack of proper plugin infrastructure and stable API which make life hard for plugin users and writers.

Hi @set, I found about your KiBot plugin (on some dead threads :P) and I looks great! I haven’t hear about it and I didn’t found it in the plugin section of the forum, maybe talk with @hermit about it, it looks like something many people need and it would be nice if it gets more visibility.

cheers.

Testing on Linux (Nightly version): now the control and interface appear being working fine but it just generated a empty “Gerber” folder and give no error / warning.

Thanks! I sent a message to @hermit and @ChrisGammell

I’m not familiar with the nightly version.
I have confirmed that there is no problem with 5.1.6-release on Ubuntu, but is it a nightly-specific problem?

I made some debug (because there is no error messages of the plugin), the error is originated in the line 455 refill(board) that appear be not successfully executed.

My guess is some recent Python API changes on pcbnew.ZONE_FILLER(board).

Thank you for the report

I understand the problem, but apparently, not only ZONE_FILLER but also various other APIs are changing, so it is necessary to take some time to investigate.

I have now updated for kicad 5.99

Plot-related APIs that have changed in 5.99:

ZONE_FILLER
SetPlotPadsOnSilkLayer
SetUseAuxOrigin
SetLineWidth

I think need some additional change (still same behavior).

I will try some debug…

It works with 5.99 for me.
The latest GerberZipper will show 1.0.2 in the title bar. Can you confirm?
The change is that the Locale folder is required for language support.

Yes. I will rise a issue on git fix full version and description…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.