Fritzing financial support model

You need to know so many areas to cover the various OS.
KiCad even contains substantial test harnesses. You need a large and diverse team to do this.

I would say that comparable scale projects are the Linux kernel, QGIS, FreeCAD and Libreoffice.

I do not mind paying amounts like 8 or 25 euros for something I use. But I have no idea why would anyone who knows KiCad use Fritzing - the ability to “design” breadboards? I tried Fritzing when I started designing electronics in 2016 and I quickly step up to KiCad.

2 Likes

It may not matter so much technically but from an arts perspective the (non-3D-, breadboard-) graphical output of Fritzing (to illustrate a book or lectures, etc.) looks much better than KiCad without having to invest a lot of time, IMHO.

3 Likes

I do this in Kicad. It works but I am not remotely fond of it tbh. Drawing the graphic lines is very primitive and a lot of work.

1 Like

Hi Kendarius,

Seth_h posted above, a link to a Fosdem lecture.
One comment in that lecture was that Fritzing was appealing to entry level electronics. If that subject became a more serious interest, the user moved on to Kicad.

Fritzig also works extremely well for the robotics crowd where multiple modules are coupled together…
“The red wire from the battery goes here, the black one here, and the green and yellow and white wires go from here to …”

The electronic modules are physically treated more like Meccano or Lego parts, much as @bask185’s example with Model Railways.

you may consider QElectroTech:

1 Like

I downloaded it, it looks nice but I quickly found out there aren’t that many components. I am already missing the L298 :frowning:

For wiring harness see here:

There is always anything to learn from other CAD projects and for financial support
I would prefere more subtle hints like the sister project LibrePCB also has.

@bask185 it seems it is quite simple to build the model (or asking to the forum)

0.9.6 is a package on Debian 12 (bookworm).

This was discussed on the Fritzing forum with a direct response from the maintainer (which I strongly disagree with): Can’t find source code - fritzing forum

Fritzing changed to a GmbH (LTD) obviously derived from Redhat open innovation labs and requires annual tax declaration (Körperschaftssteuererklärung) done by tax consultants.

I’m just happy to see I’m not the only one that plays with trains…

5 Likes

Hmpfff!

This is a re-cycled picture that was displayed on this forum some time ago. :slightly_frowning_face:

Any more recent pictures, or has the project slowed because you are too busy programming Kicad :sweat:

Yeay… another one!. All my Kicad efforts are aimed towards modelrailway electronics. My last project is a fully assembled open source DCC soldenoid decoder complete with SMT ordering tutorial.

1 Like

If it comes out again and again I can write an FQA article for it. (FQA = frequently questioned answer)

or has the project slowed because you are too busy programming Kicad…

Well there is some truth to that.

However:

2 Likes

Maybe you can do some videos of blowing up some bridges. Get lots of likes and then you get the pleasure of rebuilding. Are we way off topic yet? :wink:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.