Fresh Kicad 5 installation, most 3D models are missing (SOLVED)

After updating 3d models and checking thta paths are correct I still have most 3d models missing only exception seems to be simple 1 row headers, etc. How may part actually have 3D models availble?

All of the models are here.

Hi! Thanks for this, I am downloading them now but I think there is a further issue here. In my system even simple things like resistors and capaci
tors do not seem to have a corresponding 3D model.

No need to download from github, models are included in the installation package.

If you don’t see models for resistors and capacitors that means that either

1. Your library setup is incorrect (possibly you had kicad 4 installed before, there is a faq entry on how to upgrade to 5 properly)
  2. You just don’t have corresponding models turned on in the 3d viewer options.

What KiCad version and OS? Some Linux packages don’t include 3D models

Hi,
It is Kicad v5.1.5-0 running on Mac OSX v10.13.6.

Kicad was installed “fresh” i.e. not over a previous version and I have the latest version of the 3D packages. I have checked all paths as well (particularly KISYS3DMOD which is: /Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/packages3d)

and they are ok.

Thanks,

Give some examples of models which aren’t there.

KiCad uses a neat trick to make 3D and footprint libraries independent of each other, yet always compatible with each other. Each footprint has the 3D model file path defined even if the model file itself doesn’t exist. Therefore there are many footprints which actually don’t have a corresponding model even if the name if given in the footprint. If you are talking about standard generic packages (e.g. Resistor_SMD:R_0603_1608Metric) there’s some problem.

Kicad was installed “fresh” i.e. not over a previous version and I have the latest version of the 3D packages. I have checked all paths as well (particularly KISYS3DMOD which is: /Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/packages3d)

and they are ok.

here’s an example.
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 20.51.43

1 Like

You’ve got a footprint library from KiCad version 4. See I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup.

1 Like

Thanks! Not sure how that happened! I had v 4 before but i thought I had deleted everything before I installed 5…

1 Like

Working now! Thanks to everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.