Footprint made from footprints

Hi,

Is there any good way to make a footprint out of other footprints and join them together with traces in the footprint?

I’m trying to use groups of ICs as logic gates to build a computer with.
The intent being that a single schematic symbol is linked to the footprint that has multiple IC’s arranged and connected so that I can place both the schematic symbol and the IC arrangement as a single part.

I think you could hack up something ugly but having more than one IC per footprint will screw up any BOM. I think you can duplicate a block in PCBnew and then add reference numbers to match the schematic. The files are text based so if you have good coding skills you might work out something if you have lots of duplication. Do one block and get an idea of the existing format and figure it out from there.

It sound like something you could do with multiple hierarchical schematics and Replicate layout: Action plugin

2 Likes

Replicate layout looks like it’ll do the business, but might quickly become unmanagable with the sheer quantity of logic gates I’ll require.

Thankyou for your help.

It works also with complex hierarchies multiple levels deep. E.g. you have a hierarchical page to build a flip-flop from couple of gate. Then you have a hierarchical page containing a couple of flipflops to build an adder. And you have a couple of adders in the project. First you lay out one flipflop. then you replicate the layout of this flipflop to all the flipflops within one adder. And then you replicate the layout of this adder to other adders.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.