Footprint folder gone following symbol edit

Hi, been playing around with V6 for the last few weeks and enjoying the experience

Somehow in trying to edit a schematic symbol the program is now complaining that the Connector_Multicomp.pretty folder is missing from my footprint folder …

In an attempt to fix this I did a complete un-install using package manager in Linux Mint and then re-installed but the said folder is still missing in /usr/share/kicad/footprints …

I don’t get it, what could be preventing me from getting a full re-install ?

also, where can I find the latest tutorial on symbol editing and saving practices ?

This library has been recently removed since it was an empty one, you should just remove the library entry from your footprint library table. ( Preferences → Manage Footprint Libraries…)

A great source of info about library management in some FAQ topics here.

by recently do you mean gong into v6 ??

I guess I had K5 stuff left over somehow, yes ?!

… wt

Only two weeks ago…

Not 100% sure what was left over from v5 (or previous v6 installation), but probably the library table configuration file was left untouched with the update, so the removed entry was still there.

great, thanks for clarifying … !

1 Like

If you want to fully uninstall KiCad you should also manually delete the directory where it keeps its settings. In Windows it is C:\Users\ {User name}\AppData\Roaming\kicad.
V5 had its setting there. V6 makes a directory 6.0 under that kicad directory.

It is not deleted automatically to protect your settings when uninstalling old version and installing the new one.

3 Likes

Thank-you Piotr !!

another bit of crucial info that should be added “up front” to …

https://docs.kicad.org/6.0/en/introduction/introduction.html

I guess I should delete that folder and do a fresh re-install
then I’ll know I have everything fully in default Kicad6 mode

I think contents of that folders has nothing to installation process. So you need not to reinstall. You only need to delete that folder and KiCad will behave as just being installed for the first time at your PC.

1 Like

Yes, KiCad is installed to system locations and re-installing doesn’t really change anything, except when the user has used root privileges to mess up the system, or something wasn’t installed earlier (like library packages) and the user now remembers to install more.

When KiCad is run for the first time, it writes things to the user config. So, deleting the config and then running KiCad is the same as running KiCad for the first time.

1 Like

thank-you both !

btw, where would the config file be located on a Linux system ?!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.