Flipping the Y axis

This was one of my main frustrations when I first started working with KiCad, the top one being the location of the coordinate origin. It bothered me enough that I decided to fix it. Patches have been submitted for the v6 release, and should get merged once I finish addressing the comments from the code review. My profile links to a blog that includes a description and screen-shots. Now all you have to do is wait until v6 makes it to release.

Funny how you chose that particular expression of your frustration. Look closely at my profile pic. :grinning:

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Part management and spreadsheet vs true databases

Absolutely correct….

The board outline should correspond to the upper right quadrant of the classical Cartesian Coordinate System.

That means the lower-left hand corner of the board is Coordinate x=0, y=0.

I have looked.
When you will finish 4004 consider building DES encryption based on relays :slight_smile:

Changing how KiCad works internally would cause serious backwards compatibility problems. Providing a user interface conversion layer is the only sane way to go forward. Personally I have used top left origin far more often, so I want to stick with it

1 Like

Not gonna happen. The P-boxes would be trivial but the S-boxes would be a challenge.

I’m not crazy enough to want to build relay-based computers. There are limits to my insanity. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

May be not only relays but relays + diodes :slight_smile:

When I was young (I think 12…14 years old) I sow relay-based computer working. It was “programmed” by a lot of cables with banana plugs and used to generate the pay list of workers. My aunt, who let mi go in to see it said that it is too slow for any other task so they use it only for this.