First BOM - is there any default?

Thanks.
Previously in this thread I got the info:

I see there are more possibilities to check that I expected. I’ll do it but not now. It is 21:00 here now and time to go home.

In V4.0.7 PCBnew -> File -> Fabrication Outputs -> BOM file looks like:

I could not find the dialog from 2 posts back because I was looking in PCBnew, while the tool is in EEschem.
EEschem -> Tools -> Generate Bill of Materials -> Add Plugin -> …
Default path it searches (V4.0.7, Linux Mint) is in /usr/bin/
I copied “/usr/lib/kicad/plugins/bom_csf_grouped_by_value.py” into the file browser and pressed:
… -> Generate

When I started this thread I didn’t noticed that in PCBnew there are the possibility to generate BOM. Reading the KiCad instructions (an year ago) I remembered that BOM is in schematic so didn’t serched it anywhere else. Generating BOM from PCB seems being a solution to consider. For example I use Laird BMI-S-210-F (see RF_Shielding library). In Protel to have the BOM complete I have designed symbols for BMI-S-210-F and BMI-S-210-C (cover for it) and placed them on schematic. When generating BOM from PCB I suppose I can just put them on PCB - no need schematic symbols for them. But it looks too god to be true - where from it will get designator (may be not needed - must think) and how to assure no designator collisions. It is ‘have to check’ before final decision.

From pcb software BOM I use only Designator, Quantity and Designation columns (I use symbols that I see here are called atomic). I copy it into second page of my spreadsheet where at first page I have all parts I use. Then columns D,E,F,G are filled automatically (see the formula).

I have tried to have it English but gave up. WYSZUKAJ.PIONOWO means SEARCH.VERTICALLY. End of formula is ;4;0 Formulas in E,F,G differ only by haveing different numbers instead of 4 (column from first page).
Then I sort it by columns G and B. G assures the order of elements type I prefer and in one type (like capacitor) to have it sorted in ascending order and not text order. Then I copy that (without G) to another spreadsheet when paste text (no formulas) and it is my BOM. There I have the lines numbered so paste to B not A.

I will check KiBom. I tried kicad-bom-wizard but I not always get answer to my questions.

Anyway I think KiCad should include a bom generator with gui settings and cannot rely only on external plugin.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.