"Fillet Tracks" feature in 5.99

@Qbort, the interactive filleting tool you are working on, as shown in your video, looks great. Now I do look forward to version 6! Keep up the good work.

@Qbort Would it be possible to use your tool for board edges as well? That would be a great time-saver for corners that aren’t simple right-angle.

1 Like

Arcs are coming to polygons in 5.99, and in general it would be useful to handle all arcs somewhat similarly if possible.

The video was showing how this works in another EDA just for illustration of what I was hoping to achieve but I am nowhere near that

To be honest I don’t think it will make it into v6 as I still haven’t got my head around how the PNS dragger works internally and there are a lot of bugs to fix before the release.

It would need to be a new tool as the track arcs and graphical arcs are separate objects internally.

Not sure if this would be accepted for v6 since we are in feature freeze but maybe one of the lead developers can comment?

Don’t disagree but there is also the issue of delaying v6 release longer than necessary.

Arc tracks are different objects internally

Yes, that was more like a general remark.

It doesn’t automatically mean the UI couldn’t be the same. Especially fillets in polygons and fillets in traces are identical from end user’s point of view, they continue from two other lines using their tangents and radius.

By arcs do you mean sections of circles or splines ?

Most probably sections of circles, at least in the UI level. KiCad supports bezier curves, too, but it’s not possible to create them with the UI.

EDIT: I have thought about if it would be possible to support bezier curves in tracks, too, but I guess it’s too complicated and of little value.

Thank you for this new feature, really appreciated, I can’t deny it is handy as it has implied real changes to how tracks are being handled in KiCAD, it is really nice, really, thank you again. I also do hope we can get the ability to draw these curved tracks as well, this will come pretty handy, especially if the radius cab be defined for these drawable curved tracks too. Another thing is to be able to define the radius for cornered tracks, this is also another good feature to be considered by the valuable developers here.

I have inspected the Gerber files track fillet feature, there are still some imperfections in the drawing:

I experimented a bit with circular tracks in an attempt to help David Bleeker in:

And it was a quite *&^%$#@! experience to try to do such a PCB in KiCad.

I have a quite dislike for bezier curves. I never understood their popularity. A long time ago (In the Dos Age) I had a CAD program that could use Bi-Arc’s for generating curves. A bi-arc is a curve win which there are 2 arc segments between control points. I find these vastly superior to Bezier curves for CAD purposes. Firstly, they go through the control points instead of “somewhere towards” them. The result is also just circular arc segments which are easy to draw, store in CAD files and translate directly to simple G-Code.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.