Fetching Footprints libs locally

If you had kicad 4 installed before, then you will need to overwrite your personal fp-lib-table. Otherwise kicad 5 will still run on the old kicad 4 footprint libs. (meaning it will still download the libs from github)

If only there was an easy to install data into KiCad :slight_smile:

I am beginner in KiCad (one simple PCB designed month ago). But as I am working on computer with no internet connection, first what I found in KiCad 4.0.7 was that after installation together with file fp-lib-table you have the file fp-lib-table.for-pretty. Replacing first with second before running KiCad makes everything works locally.

Should I delete the fp-lib-table so that KiCAD can be start fetching footprints libraries locally?

If you don’t have any personal libs added to it then yes.

If you have personal libs you can either remove the file an re add the personal libs after you started pcb_new once or you can manually remove the old official libs and copy the content of the fp-lib-table that comes with the libraries using a text editor.

Now I just deleted the fp-lib-table file and tried to run the CvPcb and it seems that it is looking for footprints libraries online.

What fp-lib-table did you delete?

I suggest you open pcb_new -> preferences -> library manager and delete the stuff from there. After that you can simply use the same tool to add the local libs.
More details see the library wizard workflow from: How can i install a specific version of the footprint library?

I used the same link and deleted the fp-lib-table in this path: ~/.config/kicad/

How can i install a specific version of the footprint library?

After you delete it restart kicad and start pcb_new right away. you should get a message that kicad noticed there is no fp-lib-table and that the system table has been copied.

I restarted it but I didn’t get that message. I created a new project and It looks like everything is going fine. even if I didn’t disconnect from the network.
How can I install those library locally?

Everything is explained in the FAQ i already linked above.

Thanks for your time.

Not only delete, but also rename fp-lib-table.for-pretty to fp-lib-table.
And have to do that before first run CvPcb!
At first run CvPcb copies that fp-lib-table to \AppData\Roaming\kicad directory (in Windows) and later any changes to fp-lib-table in KiCad\share\kicad\template has no efect.

But you still can copy App\Data\Roaming\kicad\fp-lib-table.for-pretty to user\AppData\Roaming\kicad\fp-lib-table (renaming by deleting ‘.for-pretty’).

Sorry I make mistake in directory names.
copy KiCad\share\kicad\template\fp-lib-table.for-pretty to…

You should read the first post again. It tells you that he runs kicad 5. In kicad 5 there is no file called “fp-lib-table.for-pretty” there is only a “fp-lib-table”

And furthermore this is not necessary if he has kicad installed correctly as the system fp-lib-table is the correct one. This is the one that should be copied when you open pcb_new for the first time when no fp-lib-table exists in the config directory of the user.

in that first post I understood as he believe that in V5 he will need not wait as he had to in 4.0.7.
So I unswered that in 4.0.7 you never had to wait for it and how to do it.
And later as the question about deleting fp-lib-table was after my post I supposed that it is about what I have written. Sorry If I made mess here.

I don’t know how to move what I have till now from 4.0.7 to V5 (one PCB, and some symbol and footprint libraries).
Till now I know, that I will have to replace all ‘/’ in my names with something else. I will try ‘’ but not sure if is allowed.
But now have no time for experiments.

I will try \
I dont understood why if I put in in ‘’ it disapeared. Why here text can’t be just as is :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.