Feature request: Part availability

I think the best approach if for KiCad to simply have a easy to use CSV file with the part information from the board, THEN encourage Mouser, Arrow, Digi-key, etc… to accept the CSV file for a quote - and return a standard format that could be imported back into the KiCad schematic with the selected vendor parts. Foot prints, alternatives, etc would need to be supplied. KiCad can provide CSV files - however some of the existing scripts have problems working with Windows long pathnames…

Any script that runs on the KiCAD side would read the returned quotes - and - for each part type if accepted - update the part info in the schematic.

The specific part info characteristic should include - columns to indicate the ACCEPTED distributors stock number, price and delivery.

I’ve found that for most boards I build with KiCad I have parts coming from multiple suppliers. Not just one.

To make this happen, a few people need to contact the distributors and ask if they would support a common quote feedback file.

[quote=“Dennis_Heidner, post:21, topic:31341”]
return a standard format that could be imported back into the KiCad schematic with the selected vendor parts[/quote]

I don’t feel keeping vendor P/Ns inside design source files is a good practice.
I use my own in-house unique identifiers, and then maintain external database that (among many others) keep track of orderable codes.
All this can be done with clever spreadsheets, without any need to back-importing to your CAD tool.
This way you don’t break your design if your supplier will change ordering codes.

I understand the issue of using a distributors part number. Presumably the distributor would include the part manufacturers part number also. The import tool could select what fields to use.

FWIW, Mouser, Digi-key and others have CSV import tools that can look up and provide quotes – however everyone uses their OWN format for columns and rows that they report back. We really want a common format coming back from the distributors - that allows the import tool to select the fields.

For projects - I might save the distributors part number in the BOM in addition to an in house part number. But when that BOM is put out to the public - the distributors part number might be hidden.

For some openhardware projects, the distributor part numbers (multiple distributors) for a specific part might be seen as a great value for the openhardware community. With part shortages that have been occuring it also makes it easier to help locate a different source.

If your company has a purchasing department - the distributors part number and the manufacturing number can help make the life of the purchase agent much easier. If the distributor changed part numbers, they often have a map within the distributors system that suggests replacements.

How about having several distributors or manufacturers in library for a certain part.

Dear

I’m reading your answers and see that I didn’t discribe the feature request propperly.

It starts with adding a new part to AD.
For example a Resitor 10K 0.1% 0603 75V
Adding this into the search matrix in AD will gife you:

• all maufaturers
  • all Parameters
  • Availability
  • End of life information
  • Number of distributors
  • Parts in Stock

Onece you decided to use a part from a specific manufacturer AD stores all the parameter, if available you get also the symbol and foorprint.

You can also define alternative manufacturer.
If you want to add a single gate to your design for example than you can choose between TI, NXP, ONSemi and you can add all these manufacturer to the same part.

THAT gives you flexibility.
That gives you the chance to avoid deliververy problems and so on.

Later in the design phase you can see the active BOM. It will show you in realtime all parts of your design with all above mentioned parameters.

Best regards

Martin
This is what I need

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.