Feature request: Integrate 3D Viewer into library browser

Having just got 3d packages working as expected I think it would be even better if the 3D viewer was integrated into the Library Browser.

So when viewing the footprint in the next panel you can also view the 3D.
Currently I have to click on 3D Viewer and it opens in another screen

(Unless there is some magic way to do this already?)

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.2+dfsg1-1~bpo9+1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.52.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2q zlib/1.2.8 libidn2/0.16 libpsl/0.17.0 (+libidn2/0.16) libssh2/1.7.0 nghttp2/1.18.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.62.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
    Curl: 7.52.1
    Compiler: GCC 6.3.0 with C++ ABI 1010

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-21%2013-59-54

If you keep the 3d viewer open, it will do a live render of the component. So as you scroll up and down the list of footprints you will get a render of each footprint in turn in the 3d window.

Kicad benefits from being used on a big display or even better two displays so that you can see multiple windows at the same time. This is especially useful when you keep the schematic and routing windows open. The 3d render is also live on the current pcbnew layout.

2 Likes

That live render sounds like an awesome feature, John_Pateman. So I decided to try it in kicad 5.0.2 on a PCB that already shows a proper 3D view in pcbnew.

After playing with it for awhile, and determining you meant double-clicking on a component in the right-hand column (NOT the left-hand column) it worked! A very nice feature indeed! Thank you, John. Thank you, developers.

1 Like

Thanks, I opened the 3d viewer on a second screen and you can do a live render of each component. That will save a a lot of time when browsing through components.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.