Existing footprints / tools for direct pcb programming

Hello,

I currently use standard IC clips for ICSP programming (6 wires), and would like to use an easier and more robust technique.
As my pcb has a plain grounded bottom layer, I would like to avoid using “pin” connectors like TagConnect.
I have seen some pcbs with tiny round pads used for programming, but this option requires the design and manufacture a possibly expensive custom adaptor.
I also thought about a different clip which, instead of sitting over a chip, pinches the pcb near the eddge to make contact with the 6 tiny pads.
My question is whether this type of clip exists, or if there is another existing option to easily program the pcb without drills or castellated holes (as per ground bottom side).
I will of course consider using drills as the last option, in which case I would be interested to know TagConnect alternatives (i.e cheaper) to the TC2030-PKT-NL connector.

Any advise welcome :slight_smile:

Just a picture I grabbed of aliexpress after a search for “PCB clip” There are different brands, models and with different number of pins, and they cost a few EURO’s

1 Like

Thanks ! Indeed a nice and cheap solution.

One small PCB (like pen-drive) we program with such spring needles. I have designed pcb with needles at right places. To ensure right distance between my ‘programming’ and 'programmed pcbs I used red Match serie sockets placed such that corners of programmed PCB is on them. To position programmed PCB at right place I used terminal blocks around it.
When I program that PCB I place a tiny anvil (around 0.5 kg) on it.

Like this one? This uses a widely available SOIC clip programmer. Gives you 8 pads for programming and debugging.

Thanks for your advises.
The SOICbite is a neat idea !
A 12-pin SOIC clip will give me 6 wires in a row without drills, which is optimal.
All I need to do is to ensure that the panels are designed with the “clip” edge outside, as I don’t want to separate the pcbs.

Since we moved from Atmega to AtXmega (10+ years ago) we need 3 pin connection to program and debug microcontrollers (PDI). Now we are moving to Silabs 32 bit microcontrollers and also 3 pins are enough to program and debug.
I use for it footprint like 2x2 1,27mm pin header with one pin removed. Thanks to that there is no doubt how to insert connector. At PCB there are only pads with holes. I have shift them little outside and use standard pin-header as connector. Thanks to that shift pins get better contact with pads at PCB.
When designing, debugging we solder there a connector, but for production it is needed only to have a contact for very short time and there is no problem with it. I don’t have to move that to the PCB edge what is helpful. You can see that connection on the left at the PCB I have shown many times:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.