Error when exporting to step

Everything looks good in the 3d viewer, but the 3d model for one component doesn’t get exported.

I see this error when exporting:

OpenCASCADE error: Geom_RectangularTrimmedSurface::U1==U2

Anyone have a clue on what’s going on?

Is it because the 3d model extends beyond the footprint presented by the Footprint editor?

I tried importing into Kicad and then exporting. Now, I get a different error when I export from Kicad pcb editor:

OpenCASCADE error: BSpline curve: Knots interval values too close

I’m pretty sure the issue is in the pin header that I added to the component, since (I think) it exported OK before I added that.

In 3D viewer, rotate and look at the view from the sides. Is the connector longer than 5 pins?

Not sure what you are asking. Here’s what it looks like in the 3d viewer:

BADCAD

The smaller regulator on the right doesn’t export.

What are your KiCad version and OS details?

could you attach the 3D step model which is failing to be exported?

1 Like

Thanks,but yes, box is checked.

1 Like

It would be nice to be able to do a projection for placing mounting holes in the higher level assembly. But it’s not a big deal for me, since I can manually add the regulator in Fusion360 for the projection.

Missed this last night, but sure, here is the model. I downloaded it from the Pololu website and added the pin header from the KiCad library.

d24v22fx-step-down-voltage-regulator v2.step (2.2 MB)

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.8), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.7
libcurl/7.83.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Sep 29 2022 00:21:26
wxWidgets: 3.1.7 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.79.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.83.1-DEV
ngspice: 37
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Version: (6.0.8), release build

Try to update to 6.0.11 (this will pose no problem, all settings are preserved, this is only for bugfixes).
Or use it as a sign to upgrade to the current stable branch (v7.0.5). This will maybe introduce some work (you can find forum-threads about additional, previously not available DRC/ERC checks).

Tested on my system (Win10) with v7.0.5 and v6.0.11: step-export worked correctly, no error-message, output-result looked like the 3D-image from the 3D-viewer.

last remark: on your next issue add the version-information directly at the start (at least kicad-version v7.x.x + used OS). This avoids unnecessary research with different kicad versions.

1 Like

Thanks!

I will give it a try tonight

Sorry I didn’t include the version. I figured it was just a “loser” error.

Yes, that fixed it!

(Version 7.0.5)

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.