Edited symbol fields don´t export to the csv file

Hello!

I inserted a symbol in the Schematic Editor, I changed the component description field, I opened the pre-BoM spreadsheet, the component description symbol field was changed, but when I generated the BoM the csv file had the component description field from the library and not the new description that I inserted in the Schematic Editor.

Anyone have the solution to this problem?

Kicad version: 7.0.5.

Normally kicad v7 doesn’t allows to change the “Description”-Field of a symbol in the schematic editor, so I’m not sure what you have modified/done with the symbol.
Also I’m not sure what you mean with “pre-BoM spreadsheet”. (symbol fields table? But the symbol fields table doesn’t shows the description-field at all?)

The best way for good questions is to use exactly the strings from the program (from the dialog-window title for instance).

In the Schematic Editor, when I go into the symbol properties of the component, I can edit the all the fields including the “Description” field. Then, when I look in the Symbol Fields Table, where I can see all the fields, I can see the changed fields and I can change new ones.

However, when I generate the csv file, the Python script takes the data from the libraries and not from the schematic. Then if I have a generic symbol and I want to change the symbol properties, to include the information of the desired real component I want, the changed symbol fields will not be in the final BoM.

Hi @Andres_Hoc

You are able to change these fields, but they will not save.
Kicad Library Symbols and Footprints are read only.

Same problem as above.

To edit fields permanently, or make graphic changes, Kicad Library symbols and footprints need to be first saved in Personal Libraries.

Yes, I know that if I want to permanently save the changes in the libraries I have to edit them in the Symbol Editor.

In this case, I want to change to symbol properties in Schematic Editor without changing the library. For a practical reason, sometimes I want to use a generic symbol and change all de properties to have a BoM with all of the characteristics of the real component, or maybe I just want to change the supplier and the supplier part number.

As far as Kicad is concerned, changing Properties is changing the symbol.

If you change the properties of a symbol on a schematic, the change will show on that schematic, however the BoM will only show the original properties.

Save the symbol to a personal library, make the changes to that Personal Library symbol, then use that Personal symbol on your schematic and your BoM will show the information you want.

I understand your point.

Now, if we think that the software shows a table of all the fields information that has been changed in the schematic editor and not in the library editor, I think that, there must be a way with a Python script to extract this information and generate a csv file to get a BoM directly from the schematic.

I’d have to answer “maybe”, as I’ve never bothered to try.
I only ever use personal libraries for all my Schematics and PCBs, so your problem doesn’t occur in my workflow.

I’ll depart the thread here. Someone else may shed some light on a solution to your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the Schematic Editor, when I go into the symbol properties of the component, I can edit the all the fields including the “Description” field

I’m still puzzled about the “description” field. Could you upload a picture of the symbol properties dialog?

Regarding the BOM-creation with python scripts I can’t help. I use the simple csv-export from the symbol fields table. Kicad 7: A new easy simple BOM possibility - #3.

more general questions:

• do you have only problems with the description field or with all modified symbol fields?
  • which bom export script do you use exactly?
  • and is the script invoked from schematic editor or from pcb editor?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.