Edit all custom template Fields at on place?

Hey!

I’m new to KiCad - I build a schematic with around 200 components. I’m using the “template field names” on the Schematic Editor for BOM with fields like Manufacturer and Tolerance.
Is there a way to fill out all these Informations at one Place? Like generating a XLS BOM, fill in the informaton and than back-filling the Infos to Kicad?

There must be an easier way to do it than modifing the component in the lib? : (
Maybe something like KiCad Librarian but with custom fields?

looking forward for your help!
thanks
marvin

But than I have to create a new Symbol for every resistor value and tolerance… And I would have to change the whole symbol for a small value-change… Sounds too complicated o_O

I would still prefere changing it in a list or somewhat… :frowning:

Hi,

A few months ago I needed similar functionality.

I decided to write a python script, which reads reads KICAD’s schematic files (.SCH), extracts the components and some of their property fields.

This information can then be exported to a .csv file in which you can edit these parameters. Once you are done editing, you can reload the .csv file and merge the changes with the .sch files.

I made it so that I can add order codes in a spreadsheet editor, which then can be resynced with the .sch files, and will give the schematic symbols the properties: FarnellLink, MouserLink, and DigikeyLink.

You can find the code at https://github.com/BPJWES/KiCAD_Partslist_editor

This was created for python 3+

If you use it, please make sure to backup your files because, I cannot fully guarantee the script won’t corrupt files.

Best of luck,

Regards, Wefas

PS. I think it would be super handy if similar functionality (list type parameter editing) would be included into CVPCB.

2 Likes

awesome! Thank you so much Wefas! I’ll try it - I should be able to figure out how to use it : D

This is great! I’m going to try integrating some of your stuff with my KiCost utility so the info it scrapes from those sites can be back-annotated to the schematic.

I’ve opened a wishlist bug asking for CSV export/import for schematic symbol fields:

In my view this would make editing fields in schematic very generic (i.e. everyone would be able to use tools they prefer) and very convenient

Is there an easy way to use your program with fields other than FarnellLink, MouserLink, and DigikeyLink?

Depending on what you want to do this could be rather easy, or quite involved.
The easy way would be to either accept a different field name at first, insert all the parameters in the fields you want to use, and then open the EESchema source files with a text editor and to replace all instances of the field-name you want to change.
This however only works once, if you want to run the script after you have changed the field names, you should first rename the field-names to the original names.

The more difficult approach would of course be to add support for a new field-name. If it is just one or two reasonable new fields, I might even take the time to add it myself.