Duplicate Edge Cuts

Ok thanks @BlackCoffee, in FreeCad to speed-up loading and kick view I import .step directly from Kicad, I’m not using StepUp board import. Do you think better to import via StepUp ?
`

It doesn’t matter as long as you set the Step Export (from Kicad) to use the User’s Origins for each PCB when exporting.

I just loaded the Steps into FreeCad not using StepUp.
I used StepUp in previous posts only because most users seem to think that’s the way to do it. I seldom use StepUp unless it makes sense.

Notice, folks who make plugins typically most always tell users to use (their/other) plugins. And, for me, when upgrading some App, their plugins often also need updating. I don’t like that so, I try to avoid plugins…

Image showing FreeCad not using StepUp

EDIT: Added image of FreeCad’s standard Import-Export settings for Step

Hello @BlackCoffee, thanks for demonstration, from Kicad side I’ve defined, on both board project, the same grid 0.254mm, same “grid origin” and Layer alignment target :

When looking on bottom line X/Y position is 46 - 68 from one PCB and 47 - 84 on the other. Then importing .step files or pcb with add-on StepUp boards are not aligned on FreeCad :

Do I loose something ?

By default StepUp places the PCB on the “Grid Origin” not on the “Auxiliary origin”, you can do change the StepUp setting to “Aux Origin” or put your grid origin in the same spot as your “Auxiliary grid origin”

One is the gray cross and the other one is the red circle:

the layer aligment target is not necessary in your case.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
In FreeCAD you can vizualise where your origin is if you select: “View->Toggle axis cross”

Example, two different origins:

1 Like

My mistake in assuming (hoping) that when I posted using the Aux Origin and included image of that setting in FreeCad, several posts above, users would clue-in that if they prefer Grid Origin, they could explore the pull-down in FreeCad’s panel… and use Grid Origin… Silly me…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.