DRC check fails

Hello,

I have an layout which uses a polygon as supply layer and obviously not the whole net is connected together. Some parts of the net are not connected but the DRC does not find any unconnected isles. It is most probably a bug but I’m not able to connect my Ubuntu one account o launchpad without an error and contact by mail is not possible. May be someone here is able to fill a bug report.

My idea was to share a screenshot and also a board layout but I’m not allowed to upload it here because I’m a new user.

It is not my first bug report for an opensource project but it will be my first and final one for kicad as I’m very frustrated now because even this contact possibility is blocked.

If anyone likes to help please feel free to contact me. If not, no problem. There are still other CADs available.

Application: kicad
Version: (2018-01-27 revision aa18aa13b)-master, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.2
libcurl/7.37.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2j zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.28 libssh2/1.4.3
Platform: Linux 4.14.14-1-default x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,STL containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
Boost: 1.58.0
Curl: 7.37.0
Compiler: GCC 4.8.5 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=OFF

Thank you for spending your time to help improve KiCad, to add to the thousands of hours other people have volunteered to the project.

This isn’t the place for bug reports.

But it’s still fair to ask for help here and offer it.

@gauna, you can copypaste the .kicad_pcb file content here (at least I believe so - unfortunately first-time users of this forum have some limitations to prevent spam). Screenshots can be of course placed on any server to which we can follow a link. And just to remind about something which you already probably know - using nightly builds isn’t recommended if you desperately need to have something done, they are for those who are willing to suffer from bugs and help developers to find and fix bugs, not for production work.

People, please calm down. We can handle this together.

2 Likes

Good luck with that!

New users should be able to share one image per post.

DRC does only check if all pads are connected. And it only lists them after you click the “list unconnected” button.

Bug reports need to go on the bug tracker as others have already stated. This is a user forum. (This is explained on the official webside and in the FAQ index thread of this forum. Also even with personalized google search, searching the terms “kicad bug” should result with the bugtracker quite high up.)

And maybe another thing. Using nightly builds is connected with dangers. Be aware of them before you start a project by using a development build.

Man, did you really read my post? I’m not able to connect Ubuntu with launchpad and kicad for two days and several ours I will not try it the whole next week again and again. As this is required for any contact to developers this is my only chance to get in contact if anybody is able to copy this information here to a bug report or so.
It would also be nice to have a simple contact by mail or so.

Generally I would encourage people to post genuine bugs on the issue tracker, but often they are trivial support questions which waste developers time. e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1745803, these are better dealt with here.

I’m fine with people asking for help, but when people come in with “your software sucks, fix it. I’m done with it”, experience tells me they rarely become a productive correspondence for either party.

The rules on the forum can be frustrating, but I see the benefit of encouraging people to take part in the community, instead of making drive-by posts out of the blue containing a rant/troll/demand for support, and making it clear they are not interested in spending any of their valuable time to help.

Here is an image. There are several “+5V” parts which should be connected by a single polygon. Due to other tracks the polygon is divided into several unconnected parts. There is clearly no “no-connection” line and I also know that I have to click “list unconnected” in order to get all unconnected pads.

If you mean with “DRC does only check if all pads are connected” that the DRC is not able to check if polygons are connected then maybe the DRC check is useless and gives false positive feedback.

Thanks again to everyone who tries to help me.

And again: Yes I know how to report bugs, but I’m not able to connect to launchpad. So I can not report this critical bug which exists is in any version from at least 4.0.4 to nightly build.

If anybody can allow me to upload files then I will provide the layout. It is to long to paste it here by text. Sorry

It’s worth nothing there have been bugs discovered in the connectivity algorithm, one was recently fixed https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1744732. It was marked critical and a patch made the following day, can’t ask for much better response than that!

Your lone screenshot does not give enough information.
You might want to show a larger area of the bottom side.

To clarify: DRC does check if all pins of a given net are connected via either zones, traces or vias. (or a mix of the 3) So if you have other pads that have the same net and drc does not report them as unconnected then there might be a problem in drc. (If the highlight net tool does not highlight the other pads then the problem might not be with drc but with your schematic.)

You can upload your project to any cloud service and link it here.

About launcpad: Why are you not able to post there? You just need to register similarly as you did here. (The login/register button is in the top right corner.)

Launchpad after granting access to kicad for the last 2 days in different browsers

First result from google, https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2355447

eta, many other problems in the vein “launchpad something went wrong” it seems to be problematic for some people.

Yes, I already figured this out, but changing from Firefox to Chrome didn’t help and the error message is quite helpful

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.