Drawing Polygons in layout versus footprint

I’d already drawn the antenna polys in CorelDraw.

Found this free convertor online:

The resulting dxf files import into Kicad, and I can convert them to zones.

Sure, you can use the file.

At 13 seconds in, you set the “Constrain outline to H, V and 45 degree” checkbox. That was the problem. Try it again without that box checked.

1 Like

Yup! That was it!

No problem doing the poly when that’s off.

Should that be reported as a bug? Why should constraining to H, V, and 45 cause that behaviour.

I know, not a big deal, once you know not to do it.

I think that setting constrains not only the final polygon, but all the intermediate ones as you click on points going around the curve. I think that explains what you were seeing. Probably not a bug, just not what you were expecting.

Should that be reported as a bug?

Already reported a short time ago: pcbnew / FP-editor: drawing polygon with H/V/45 restricted mode difficult (#10561) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

The drawing-problem also occurs if you enable the H/V-mode with Shift+Space-hotkey during the drawing. The snapping-effect is convenient for simple rectangular-shapes, but prevents complicated shapes (like in your case).

1 Like

It think should only constrain from the last corner drawn. That’s the only thing that would make sense.

Anyway, already reported.

Thanks!

Seth added Bezier support to the conversion tool, so as of today’s nightly you should be able to create zones from that DXF.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.