Download and Installation KiCad one package

Hello all! As install KiCad one package as for Windows. Because I not have internet connection on target PC with Linux. But I have Flash drive.

You can download the KiCad Windows installer elsewhere and save it to the flash drive, then execute the installer from the flash drive on your target machine.

1 Like

Apparently the installer can be opened with 7-Zip and run without installing, more information here:

If you mean the installers, you can find them here:

https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/stable/

1 Like

Target OS Linux. I edit my first post.

Oh, I understand now – it meant “one package, just like there is one package on Windows”.

Linux works as it works, each distribution has its own packages. Snap and Flatpak are (in theory) cross-distribution, but even they are normally installed from the system itself. AppImage is one file, https://github.com/KarlZeilhofer/kicad-appimage/releases. I don’t know what the current state of it is, but @KarlZeilhofer may be able to tell more.

It’s will be a set of packages named kicad* for most Linux distros, but that’s not the end of it. There will be dependencies on other packages and normally if you have an Internet connection the required ones will be discovered and downloaded. Depending on which distro you have, it might be possible to discover the set of packages that would be downloaded in addition to kicad* and fetch them elsewhere to install offline.

Your link is 101MB, but the kickad is large 1GB. I don’t understand what this package is then …

This is understandable as it happens in Linux. My question is how to install KiCad if there is no Internet on the target machine? Why are there no .deb packages and .rpm packages as it happens in other programs and drivers when installing. So that everything and dependencies and different packages are included in them. Libraries for KiCad can be download separately, this is not a problem.

What do you mean no .deb or .rpm packages? Those are exactly the means by which Kicad is typically installed on Linux distros. These are the packages installed on my distro.

$ rpm -qa kicad*
kicad-packages3D-5.1.5-lp152.22.1.noarch
kicad-symbols-5.1.5-lp152.19.1.noarch
kicad-footprints-5.1.5-lp152.32.1.noarch
kicad-templates-5.1.5-lp152.18.1.noarch
kicad-doc-en-5.1.5-lp152.44.2.noarch
kicad-lang-en-5.1.5-lp152.29.1.noarch
kicad-5.1.5-lp152.78.6.x86_64
kicad-doc-5.1.5-lp152.44.2.noarch

It’s not possible to include all dependencies because you will go down all the way to libc, libX11 and friends, which is unnecessary because those are nearly always already installed. So you will have to compute the dependencies which are not yet installed for that particular machine.

1 Like

So what should I download separately package after package for Debian so that later these packages can be installed on the target machine without the Internet? What to type on the command line? My distr LinuxMint 20. What list of KiСad debian packages should I download to install on another machine without an Internet connection?

Because this is not a situation that comes up often, the solution takes a bit of effort to find on the Internet. What you want is to recursively find the dependencies of a set of packages that are not installed. The algorithm is:

wanted <- set of packages to install
while wanted has just changed
do
    wanted += (dependencies of wanted - already installed)
done

Note that “already installed” includes packages there were already added to wanted in the previous round.

You may find this post a starting point. I think I have seen utilities or scripts that automate the whole process and spit out the desired set, but I didn’t pay any more attention.

Edit: Here are some scripts that use apt-rdepends. I can’t vouch for them, since I never had to use them:

Another way might be empirically. Set up another (virtual) machine that’s connected to the Internet and set up like the isolated machine, try to install Kicad, and see what else it wants to install, then fetch those packages manually.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.