Does this footprint work for you?

@remote1, do you have “Show all filename extensions” checked in your Finder Preferences (in the Advanced tab)?

Most browsers will append .txt to text downloads. If you don’t have show all extensions on it might be truncating “0436500200.mod.txt” to “0436500200.mod” (and similarly “0436500200.emp.txt” to “0436500200.emp”.

An easy test for this is to double-click the file in Finder. Does it launch TextEdit, or does it say something like “Application to open this file not found?”

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff for the suggestions. I did not have the “Show all filename extensions” checked, but I do now. When I try to open a .mod file or a .emp file it tries to open with VLC. I set video files to open by default with VLC but not sure why it wants use VLC for this.

Still no luck importing. Since changing the filename extensions it now sees the .emp file as emp.mod and .mod files as .mod (see pic)
.ZZKICAD

There is something slightly odd about this but I have got this to work in macOS.

In the footprint editor, click on the ‘import footprint’ button.

In the dialogue, navigate to your footprint. Ctrl click on the filename of your footprint and rename with the suffix. ‘.emp’ and click on open.

Voila!

If @John_Pateman 's suggestion doesn’t work, try renaming the *.emp.mod file to just *.emp.

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys solved this one for me!

@John_Pateman when I click import in KiCAD and click rename it will not let me. When I go directly to the file not in Kicad and right click (same as control click), click rename, and change it to a .emp file then it works and the file isn’t grayed out and I can import it! Thanks everyone for the help, it is much appreciate and you all are awesome!!!

2 Likes

I had to go into ~/.config/kicad and delete the old config files there b4 it saw the correct footprint libraries

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.