Does it make sense to have development snapshots for the v5.1 branch going forward?

There is a 5.1.1 build on the KiCad download page “other versions”

@jsreynaud
Could a nightly V5.x.x be possible for Ubuntu?
I love helping with testing, but since I use kicad mainly for work I prefer to be able to fallback to stable

Juet to understand. You want to be able to run in same time 5.1.1 (stable) and 5.1 dev branch in the same time ?
Currently it’s possible to run 5.1.1 (stable) and master (main dev branch) in the same time…

1 Like

exactly! :slight_smile: perhaps even V5 stable, V5 dev and nightly

v5 will have no updates so dev and nightly for it make no sense. Only 5.1 branch will be updated.

By V5 I meant V5.x.x

Yes and 5.0.x will have no updates, 5.1.x is discussed above so I’m not sure what you were asking for?

5.1 series is developed (partly) independently from the master (which leads to 6.0). It might be useful to have the 5.1 development branch which has bugfixes but isn’t released yet as 5.1.x. The developers have also discussed of the possibility to have more testing for some bugfixes. Right now some fixes may be undertested when they are released.

1 Like

I can see I might have phrased it bad. I woud love the possibility to have v5.1.1 (stable), v5.1 branch (for testing bugfixes before they make it to stable) and v6 dev (nightly) all installed at the same time :slight_smile:

Appimages are a good (Linux specific) solution for this. Not sure if there are any for V5 though

Now the idea of 5.1.x pre-release snapshots has been blessed
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg40223.html
5.1.1 will be a very short lived release and an emergency 5.1.2 should be coming soon

5.1 branch builds are available for windows on https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/index.html?prefix=windows/testing/5.1/

3 Likes

I have yet to see an appimage or snap image that works completely.

Nick, do you know who owns this build pipeline? It would be nice to get the git hash in the filenames instead of just a Jenkins build number.

I do. I will happen eventually.

1 Like

Is this expected to be mostly stable? As in the major recent bug is already committed?

Yes. You can consider each build a new release candidate for the next stable.

1 Like

This is a build of the 5.1 fork, so right now it is 5.1.1++, heading for 5.1.2
As there are only bug fixes and no new features, it should be stable, although new bugs may have sneaked in. Test away and report any bugs found.

1 Like

Thanks, some of us are not in the build loop.

I’ve not managed to break anything new in the 253 build yet and I see in the commits that 5.1.2 has been tagged.