Discussion about filled polygon implementation details

Yup.

Upvoted
Well done finding this, another planned file format change for V7 is not desirable

Now I understand what you meant by this.

@eelik Slightly OT: is it by design that after converting lines to a polygon there is the polygon AND the lines?

Possible use cases?
Copper layers hatched fills
Silkscreen outlines only, invisible fill

Yes. Although it’s a bit annoying that they are both in the original place and the original is still selected. I would rather have the new shape “floating”, selected and moving, or at least selected. But of course you can select either of them afterwards and delete the old one.

Another casualty I am afraid: custom pad shapes from V5.1.x

The custom pad shapes issue should be fixed now.

1 Like

I have a hunch that importing from different EDAs may have more problems. Do Eagle, Altium and Cadstar have filled shapes and if yes, how they have been imported?

Eagle has filled shapes (it is kind of the only way to make even simple modifications to for example soldermask or paste as eagle does not provide paste/mask only pads). Not sure about the details of the import.

Cadstar has solid as well as hatched filling for shapes.

For outline shapes I was just importing the segments individually (e.g. straight lines or arc segments) and for filled shapes I was relying on the fact that polygons were always filled (I imported Hatch filled shapes as solid fill and threw a warning).

Now that Jeff has added support for solid filling, I’ll need to change the importer to use that instead. However hatch filled shapes are still an issue: I’ll keep importing them as solid fill with a warning message that the fill is different in KiCad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.